[ROOMBA/CREATE OWNERS ONLY] Would you buy a $30 Roomba interface board for the Raspberry Pi?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 11
kyleedwardsny

iRobot Create/Roomba Interface Board

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:12 pm

Hey guys,

I'm considering creating an interface board that connects a Raspberry Pi to an iRobot Create or Roomba robot, and then mass-producing it and selling it, as well as including a free software library for it. I may also sell all-in-one kits that include a Pi, a Create, and the interface board.

I have the funds to get started with such a project, but my question is this: if such a thing existed, how many of you guys would buy it? I'm thinking the board itself would probably cost around $30.
Last edited by kyleedwardsny on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMS Doug

Re: iRobot Create/Roomba Interface Board

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:16 pm

I voted no.

I don't have a Roomba and I'm not likely to get one.
(If I had one I would be interested in buying a board, but I don't think its likely to happen anytime soon).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

kyleedwardsny

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:48 pm

UPDATE:

Please only vote if you actually own a Roomba or a Create! I would like to know if this is something that Roomba owners would be interested in buying. Thanks!

Ravenous

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm not a Roomba owner but you may be interested to note that there have been only a few Roomba related posts here over the years. And I remember one or two of those were for people who just had parts and were looking for clues how to interface them.

So I don't think you'll sell many, unless you also create a set of instructions for an accompanying robot that will work with it. (I would guess the roomba motor/gearbox/encoder assemblies are uncommon and pricey.)

kyleedwardsny

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Ravenous wrote:So I don't think you'll sell many, unless you also create a set of instructions for an accompanying robot that will work with it. (I would guess the roomba motor/gearbox/encoder assemblies are uncommon and pricey.)
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

My plan was to make an adapter board that connects the Raspberry Pi directly to the Roomba's serial interface, and include a Python library that communicates with the Roomba and controls its movement. The adapter board would probably also allow the Raspberry Pi to be powered by the Roomba base.

Ravenous

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Oh in that case disregard what I said. I assumed you were going to build a board that would replace the Roomba's electronics. A completely different project! :o

By the way the main blog on this site - a year or so ago - had a project doing something like that.

Unfortunately I tried a search and got a broken link.

If you look at http://www.raspberrypi.org/archive/ in the 2012 section the link is there, but it's dead! How annoying. :lol: Oh well...

kyleedwardsny

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:15 pm

Ravenous wrote:I assumed you were going to build a board that would replace the Roomba's electronics.
Oh heavens no! In fact, this board would be little more than a breakout board for some 3.3v/5v buffers running between the Pi UART and the Roomba. But it would be a quick and easy way to get started without having to make your own adapter!

smyneni

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:50 am

I've spent about half a day looking for the easiest ways for my pi to talk to a 4000 series roomba. I'd buy such a breakout board and get going with my project.
Sachin

Fredo

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:02 am

I'm a roomba owner and I would not buy a board, at least not at this price.
To connect the pi with roomba, you only need 2 wires. You probably won't be able to power a raspberry pi from roomba's SCI port, it would consume way to much.

Why would you connect a big raspi to a roomba when you can directly connect a bluetooth module, a zigbee module, a moteino or a lot of others wireless modules ?
All of them would cost much less than $30.

killor

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:12 am

Hi !!
I think this is the link "Ravenous" said

http://www.raspberrypi.org/repurposing-a-roomba/

There is a hacking of a Roomba robot ...
with some video and links to code in Python ...

It would be a good base to add audio capabilities recognizer
and connectivity wifi ..
To connect to a knowledge database.

like AMAZON "echo" see http://goo.gl/7Cp2iD
but on a mobile platform ...

It would be a good project for presentation at https://www.kickstarter.com/
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”