think_ahead

Image Processing using Raspberry Pi

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:39 pm

I am making a project that will segregate trashes like "biodegradable" and "non-biodegradable"
through image processing. hope you guys can help me. thank you

riklaunim

Re: Image Processing using Raspberry Pi

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:44 pm

That will be rather very hard without distinct look and feel. A lot of openCV code will be needed and on image only it may not be doable (for a robust system).

AndrewS

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:15 pm

You could maybe do it if you were scanning barcodes like http://www.raspberrypi.org/pa-consultin ... mpetition/ but IMHO computer-vision isn't yet sophisticated enough to tell the difference between "biodegradable" and "non-biodegradable".
It's more of an Artificial-Intelligence problem than it is an Image-Processing problem.

think_ahead

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:56 pm

What we are planning to do is to segregate Papers, Plastic Bottles, Tin Cans, Plastic.

not as broad as what I wanted to do.

It is only limited image processing. I know that it is not possible to process all type of trash by image processing.

what type of camera that I could use for raspberry pi

AndrewS

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:33 pm

think_ahead wrote:What we are planning to do is to segregate Papers, Plastic Bottles, Tin Cans, Plastic.
That sounds more feasible, but I still think it's probably more difficult than you're expecting :|
what type of camera that I could use for raspberry pi
http://www.raspberrypi.org/product/camera-module/ is usually a good choice ;)

riklaunim

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Object recognition will fail if objects won't have specific shapes. Crushed bottle may look like a piece of paper and so on.

What could be done in theory is recognition with spectroscopy which doesn't require artificial intelligence to work. You could do it in two ways:
- one is to use few cameras each with selected bandpass filter. You would have to find absorption bands that would allow differentiating metal from plastic from paper etc. and then match bandpass filters for those bands so that each camera catches light from given band
- second is to use a spectroscope (with a prism or diffraction grating and the camera is used to capture the spectrum) - you don't need bandpass filters, but you can only analyze one point at a time - you can't take a picture of a whole pile of trash, you have to target spectroscope at every object to determine what it is. Could allow more detailed identification (type of metal/alloy, type of plastic...)

Although it may be very hard to find a good bands withing the visual spectrum for this (most of then is in NIR 1-few A which isn't covered by silicon based CCDs and CMOS sensors). In such cases to keep the cost low you could try using InGaAs photodiode + filter + lens and target it at given object for identification (like it was a camera with 1 pixel :)).

think_ahead

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:38 am

Thank you for the suggestion guys..

but I wanted to know if it is doable to use IMAGE PROCESSING for simple waste segregation?

subin22

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:49 am

I am too dealing with the same project for my post graduation..... would like to contact u through mail....

fuffkin

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:58 am

I've been asked many times about this by potential clients during my time working in the Machine Vision Industry. To my knowledge no one has yet succeeded to get a reliable system working with Image processing doing this.

One thing you can be sure of is that to get this working in a real world scenario (if possible) would require some pretty complex algorithms and likely more horses than our beloved Raspberry Pi has. :cry:

Good luck!
Sleepy Pi - Extend RPi battery life with a plugin Power Management & Arduino I/O board
http://www.spellfoundry.com

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”