dbot

Re: Plant Friends: A plant monitor system

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks hobbybob! I submitted the project to the hackaday contest. :)
I'll submit to more contests when I find them. Yes, a fully integrated pot is an awesome idea. I just need to make some time to start on that.

dbot

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 pm

I recently made a custom PCB for the Plant Friends sensor nodes. The layout is based on the protoboard layout. The Moteino sits in the socket.

I'm planning to deploy a bunch of sensor nodes for my other plants and making my own custom board will make the task easier.

I also made a custom soil probe. Fearing that the eBay soil probes might contain lead, I had to design my own. Also, the eBay probes are corroding pretty badly after 6 months of use.

Here is my custom soil probe:

Here is a side by side comparison of my soil probe and the eBay one. You can see the eBay one looks pretty bad.

The gold plating should provide much more corrosion resistance. Only time will tell tho. :)

markswift

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:54 am

I'm ready to go ahead and buy the parts needed to do this.

Question, @fruitloaf / OP - Do you think it's possible to integrate a web interface into this, so we can check readings etc without the need for an app?

Fantastic work guys!

Mark

dbot

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:55 pm

markswift, yes you can! go to my github and you can download the source to the web portion of the system. It will be very easy to integrate a web interface to this. :)

markswift

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:17 pm

If only I had the skills to create one from scratch, perhaps I should retire to a Parrot Flower Power :lol:

indylead

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:55 am

Hi there,
Great idea for a project, but I'm having some problems with the sensor board. As a total newbiw to all things Raspberry Pi and Moteino some pointers would be useful.

I have everything together for the sensor, and have uploaded the sensor_node_test file. The power up sequence (two LED flashes) works, then nothing from the serial window. I've tried a few other basic sketches, e.g. one that flashes the LED, and one that returns a number, so the board seems to be doing something.

Can anyone suggest what I should start looking for?
Cheers,
Steve

Edited to add....that problems been solved (different libraries needed....plus some changes in the code needed). Now stuck on setting up the phpmyadmin section as my browser isn't finding this... any thoughts?

frafrichile

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:26 am

this project is very interesting.
thanks for sharing

indylead

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Edited as problem solved :)

All up and running properly.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”