bknight99

Allen Bradley comm.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24 am

Hello! I need a little help. I have been trying to use my pi as an ethernet to DF1 converter to be able to go online/program older Allen Bradley PLCs that do not supprt direct ethernet connection for programming. I don't know if this is possible, I have spent many hours reading through many posts and sites and just can't come up with the solution I'm looking for. I'm fairly new to linux and pi so any help is greatly appreciated!

BMS Doug

Re: Allen Bradley comm.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

bknight99

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm

While that is helpful, what I need is for the ethernet, rpi, and usb serial converter to act as one cable so I can remotely program from native Allen Bradley software on my win7 desktop. SCADA doesn't get me that option as I understand it. Doesn't it only allow you to access certain memory storage sections in the PLC?

arulmcts

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:05 pm

am also doing the same project. do you have any tutorial regarding this means post it

ghellquist

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:45 pm

I assume you have checked this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-1_Protocol

There will be a bit of worked involved. Firstly, the hardware part:
- the pi used 3.3V signals.
- the PLC used Rs232.
= this means you will need to have circuits in between, integrated circuits doing this saves a lot of work, sometimes called line drivers. Try googling "3.3v rs232 line driver"

Next you need to setup the low level protocol. That includes setting baud rates and parity and such. This is more or less standard functions in linux. You could do it from a command line or from a program in (among other choices) python or c.

Next you will need to find out how the "programmer" works and what it expects to see. It could be simple, or it could turn out as a major programming effort.

If you are really lucky, the programmer expects to connect to a tty port on the network -- this is more or less already part of linux on the raspberry, you simply need to sort of "connect the dots".

I have done similar things in other environments, nothing with Allen Bradly though, cannot really help with the specifics.

bknight99

Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:24 pm

Ok I'll give that a shot. As for what the program (RSLinx) is looking for to be able to communicate I have no clue. Do you think a USB over IP application would work? I do have a 232 to USB converter that seems to be working on the Pi

PJBear

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi,

have you had any luck with the Pi and Allen Bradley?

I am controlling my house with a SLC500 and wish to use a PI as a web server to allow me to control the house over the internet.

All help would be received with open arms as I have had a Pi from launch and not had time to play i now do and have a lot to learn.

ranpitime

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:04 am

hi,
you might try the CODESYS plc on the pi,
there is a webvisualisation included and Ethernet/IP (scanner) is supported.
this is how you set it up in general:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MeQBfQObgk
and this is how to set up Ethernet/IP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrV7laAJkDk
Regards
ranpitime

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”