Kordah

Set up PI for Spying...

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:59 pm

HI all,

Looking to set my Raspberry Pi up for use with a webcam, but would also like to access the webcam via a browser externally so I can see what is going on outside of my house whilst I am at work for instance.
Also, what distro would you advise using? I currently have Pidora installed but I am willing to try out different flavors of Linux.

Any help or info would be much appreciated :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

4thdwarflord

Re: Set up PI for Spying...

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:20 pm

If you are using the camera board, I would suggest using raspbian, and perhaps the berrycam iphone app/pisight android app. All you need to do is follow each apps instructions, then forward port 8000. You'll probably also want to set up a URL for it, i suggest no-ip.

Tarcas

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:49 am

If you're planning on using it headless, with only a web interface and SSH for administration, I strongly recommend selecting a distribution without a GUI, or one where it's optional and configuring it to not start at boot, just to save the overhead. Raspbian gives you this option. I don't know what other options do and don't.

As 4thdwarflord mentioned, you'll have to forward your service ports to the outside world, and have a way to connect to your home network. If you don't want to memorize your home IP, a dynamic DNS service is definitely the best option for that. Just follow the service's directions for automatic updates from Linux (so the Pi does it) or your home router, so that it's pointed back to you if your IP ever changes.

tung256

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:21 pm

follow the instructions here
http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... ive/#step0

however, his step 7 is wrong. my pi does not auto upload to my dropbox account. all this other steps worked though. if anyone knows how to fix step 7, please let me know.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”