pezboy

VIEW security system on Rpi...

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:27 pm

As the topic subject states, I am looking to be able to VIEW an already existing security system using an Rpi and browser. I normally view this system/cameras using IE on a Windows machine, as the cameras require an activeX plugin to view. I have an Rpi that I use in my kitchen as a family calendar/ shopping list/recipe browser:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... /?ALLSTEPS
I would like to also view my cameras on this Rpi. I have looked for an Rpi browser and or activeX plugin for Rpi with no luck. Any help would be appreciated....

rpiforfun

Re: VIEW security system on Rpi...

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:35 pm

Yikes! ActiveX on linux. (RPi OS's are almost all linux based) That has never really been tackled as ActiveX has always been viewed as a serious security threat.

Do you know that ActiveX is required? Meaning have you tried a different web browser from Windows that has Java installed? Like Firefox with Java JRE? Does that work with the website? Because java should be able to work on the RPi. I have no clue on the details, but it should be quite possible.

Otherwise, I wonder if your best bet is a remote desktop technology like RDP or VNC to view the windows desktop screen?

pezboy

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:49 pm

Yes, unfortunately ActiveX is required. It is an older security cameras system that doesn't use Network or IP based cameras. The system works fine though, and I certainly don't want to incur the cost of upgrading it just to view it on the Pi. Is it possible to use VNC to view a Windows machine? I've seen plenty of tutorials about setting up/viewing a Pi with VNC, but nothing on the reverse. Even better yet would be Teamviewer, as I use that on a few of my Windows machines to do exactly this, but does Teamviewer even exist for Pi?

ghans

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:34 am

Nope , Teamviewer "for Linux" is just including WINE (bloating the download immensely) and therefore won't work on the Pi.

I guess it can't be very hard to install a VNC client :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
apt-cache search vnc
should give you an overview to whats available.

apt-cache show name-of-client
gives additional info to the package "name-of-client".

sudo apt-get install name-of-client
actually installs the client.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

pezboy

Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info, ghans. Not really worried about the setup of VNC, I've done it many times on my Windows machines. I was just looking for something like Teamviewer that involved no setup or port forwarding and I didn't want to worry about installing yet another host app on the server side. Oh well...

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”