iwant5please

Can I remove some components?

Sat May 26, 2012 6:47 am

Hey guys! I was wondering if I could remove some connectors from the Pi in order to make it lighter for a robot I am making. I would want to unsolder the yellow RCA connector, and the Ethernet jack. I was also wondering if the audio jack could be used to connect a microphone so the robot can hear stereo sound. Thank you very much!

tufty

Re: Can I remove some components?

Sat May 26, 2012 6:57 am

iwant5please wrote:Hey guys! I was wondering if I could remove some connectors from the Pi in order to make it lighter for a robot I am making. I would want to unsolder the yellow RCA connector, and the Ethernet jack
I don't see any reason why not, although the ethernet jack is connected to the USB subsystem; removing it might kill USB . Applying the trusty solder-sucker "might" void your warranty, though.
iwant5please wrote:I was also wondering if the audio jack could be used to connect a microphone so the robot can hear stereo sound. Thank you very much!
No. No audio in on the Pi.

iwant5please

Sat May 26, 2012 7:04 am

Yeah I imagined that the RCA connector would be easy to remove but my biggest question is if the USB connectors would continue working if I removed the Ethernet Jack. If taking the Ethernet Jack kills just one of the USB ports that would also be fine with me, I could use a little hub. Thanks!

domesday

Sat May 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Removing the Ethernet should not be a problem for the USB, removing it wouldn't turn it into a model A as the Ethernet/USB chip will still be on the board.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”