bantammenace2012

Hawk-Pi Goal Line Technology. Kickstarter project?

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:47 am

Here in England & Wales the Football (Soccer) Premier league has just introduced Hawk-eye to determine whether a ball has completely crossed the goal line.
In near real-time, 7 HD cameras at 500 fps are used to triangulate the location of the ball wrt. the goal line. The system sends a message to the referee. There is a whole lot of maths, computing and communicating going on and the system is likely expensive to install and administer.
My Sunday morning pub team needs a similar system and I wonder how much of it is viable on the Pi ?
Unfortunately our goalkeeper has a very round head and no hair so I would imagine it might confuse ball-recognition algorithms.
Items under consideration:
1. Face/ball recognition,
2. Pixel mapping,
3. Live video streaming,
4. Networking,

Anything I've missed ?
I've toyed with the idea of a Kickstarter project but the resulting puns would be un-bearable (Babbage etc.)
If all goes well Sepp Blatter has agreed to allow me to trial it on April 1st at our home ground at Hackney Marshes.

MrBunsy

Re: Hawk-Pi Goal Line Technology. Kickstarter project?

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 am

How're you planning on tracking the ball? If you're going to be using cameras, probably best identify what you could use and then work out how much processing power you'll need to deal with the data after that.

Unless you're after creating something that requires a huge time and effort, would you not be better off with a camera pointed permanently at the goal, and just check the last few seconds footage if there's any argument?

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”