zedin

Syncing lights and music; Can you use an equalizer?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Just a thought I had as things start to head into Halloween and Christmas. If I do a light display I want the light flashes to be timmed to the music. Without having to manually time and program the lights I wondered if there was anyway to use an equalizer graph to control the lights via gpio. I can also use a digital to analog converter to get the levels but my thought was when you look at a equalizer graph (pretty sure that is what it is) it has bars going up and down for the various parts of the music. What I would want to do is specify how many 'bins' for the equalizer to track and make each one correspond to a lighting effect. That way no matter what music you play all the effects would be timed appropriately.

The biggest question is how or where to even start..

mcgooglesthefro

Re: Syncing lights and music; Can you use an equalizer?

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Any luck with this? I just bought a Raspberry Pi, and this is a project that I've been wanting to do for a long time. If anything we can try to tackle this project together.

hitsurume

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:26 pm

I would love to have a guide or any information on this also. I have two raspberry pi's and would love to learn how to sync the pi's to led lights through music.

Mr Evil

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:11 pm

A better way would be to sample the audio (using a USB sound card or ADC), and then do a FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) on it in software. This would get you the "bins" you want, just like the graphic equalizer. FFT is a pretty common thing, so there are bound to be pre-existing libraries to do it for you whatever language you choose to write the software in.

togiles

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:15 am

I've just started doing this myself, so far I've got a system synching lights to midi files. Here is an early video of the progress I've made so far:

https://plus.google.com/102015744723309 ... JwkwsYsvTK

I was inspired mainly by this blog post (although have made my own modifications to both hardware and software setup):

http://chivalrytimberz.wordpress.com/20 ... pi-lights/

I'm now researching to see if I can get music+lights synched to non midi (e.g. any 'ol mp3) - hoping to go the FFT route, but not sure the raspberry pi can do it in realtime... will report back if I find anything, and would love to hear if anyone else here figures something out as well.

Happy Halloween!

togiles

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:42 am

Got it working using a modified version of the code from the post above, here's my latest video update:

https://plus.google.com/102015744723309 ... j7RbrrLAb6

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”