n31l

Re: web access for house control

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:54 am

I think what I have in mind is a little bit boring, I want alow power board to sit next to my ADSL box and just give me a house status and may be control via a web page(s).

I can fix my IP address so talking to it should not be a problem. May even want to go wireless so the box is not in sight, also gives me the opportunity to Jump to a few unlocked wireless routers in the neighbourhood if mine should be taken off line for any reason.

Have a few GSM modems so could also add one of them for
total peace of mind, should never lose comm,s with the house.

SN

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:05 am

Not boring at all. This is probably the same start point for a number similar remote domestic projects using the raspi. Just need to plug up some interfacing hardware behind it to make this type of implementation really interesting.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

bredman

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:42 am

I have done this several times with small ARM machines. My main use is to check on temperature when I am away from home. You may ask why I have done it several times - I have a dreadful habit of getting bored and ripping things apart.

However, I do not have the luxury of a static IP address. I normally use a dynamic DNS service such as no-ip.com which allows me to access my house from anywhere in the world even without a static address.

n31l

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:50 am

Hi, not sure on the static ip route, I can set it to static but will this open me up to more DOS hits as even with a dynamic address they still pop up.  Maybe i should just fix it and keep a check to see if the hit rate goes up.

Plus I need to find a free Web server program. Still looks like ive got quite sometime to sort it all out before the hardware arrives. Farnell have card details so just need a delivery date now.

SN

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Apache is you obvious webserver candidate available as a simple apt-get/yum install (for free) depending on your distro
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

n31l

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:14 pm

SN like the sig,

I could add,

DEC VAX11, Microvax, Sinclar MK14, Nascom 2, Jupiter Ace, Z80, PET 4016, BBC B, 8080 & RCS 1802 boards, PC's (8086 386 486 etc) Rasb-pi

The 1802 had the best instruction ever "SEX"!  Obviously the designers at RCA are not your staid, single-minded, no-nonsense engineering types at all. They appear to enjoy mixing a little fun in with their work! Setting X, from which the infamous mnemonic is derived, simply puts the value of N into the X register."

Neil

SN

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Sig only includes stuff i owned - too complicated to add the stuff I worked on
Did you click on the "?" at the end by the way . . .

n31l

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:02 pm

knock off the Vax stuff and you've got what i've owned. still have Pet under the stairs can't force myself to part with it. Cost me £1000 when new and had to take seat out of my spitfire to get it home. first mod was to increase the memory to 32K. you can't even store a few words in Word in that much space nowdays.

Hit the "?" sound good.

freekeys

Wed May 09, 2012 4:02 pm

This sounds like the kind of thing I am aiming to set up and integrate into some sort of home monitoring/automation system..

I am a complete beginner to this stuff though, I'm a Mac OSX/Windows user with no Linux or web development experience but I'm really keen to learn and have a lot of time this summer to start..

I'm quite a way through an introductory course (CS106A on iTunes U) to Java, to give me a grounding in computer programming, and I'm picking it up quite quickly, but I know I've got a long way to go before I can start setting up systems like this.

Where should I go from here? Obviously I'll get familiar with Linux when I get the RPi, but as for hooking it up to a web control system, what language would that be written in on the Pi? And what about on the web side?

I know this is seriously early stages, but any basic help and advice would be much appreciated!!

ghans

Wed May 09, 2012 7:00 pm

freekeys  ,

if you want to program on the Pi , Phyton is the "official" language of the project.

As there is some serious collaboration with Qt , you could also look into Qt5 with C/C++ .

If you are interested in websites , you can just install a webserver you wnat (Apache , lighttpd , nginx) . "Programming" could be done in PHP , which itself could interface with other Languages and so on.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

freedomotic

Wed May 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi we are working to a porting of our domotic software on raspberry. The software is written in Java but we are developing a restful service for creating your own client. Now we have no raspberry board so we are working on an emulated system (quemu).

If you want to contribute we can organize. Here there is the "official" post http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....-raspberry

Thanks
Freedomotic Open IoT Framework
http://freedomotic.com

tech_monkey

Wed May 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Why not try posting in the automated home forum.
http://www.casatech.eu

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”