bcre3306

PI to control AC Window Unit

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi

I am on a quest to control my window AC unit with my pi. I would of thought this would be easy but I swear I searched up and down with no luck. In essence I want to put an IR blaster(hopefully usb if possible) on the PI and install LIRC, eventually setting up an external web page so I can control it from my iphone. Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to achieve this?
Thank you!!

Sarge

Re: PI to control AC Window Unit

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:20 am

Hi there,

One of these would work nicely. http://www.powerswitchtail.com/Pages/default.aspx :)

Adafruit has a tutorial for using a device like this to activate the power. Their tutorial uses a PIR sensor. In your case, maybe a temperature/humidity sensor would be more appropriate.

I'm not sure about the iphone connection. I've definately seen that kind of web-control written about, I just can't remember where.

Sarge

bcre3306

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:26 am

The power option won't work as my AC unit doesnt turn on by default when you plug it in, you need to turn it on with the remote or the control panel.

Sarge

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:41 am

If your window AC unit has a cord, it should work . . .

1. Power the AC "ON"
2. Unplug from the wall
3. Plug into the Powerswitch
4. Plug Powerswitch into an electrical receptable.
5. Hook up the Pi to Trip the Powerswitch according to the conditions of your choosing (i.e., write a python program).

Adafruit has some tutorials on this. Here is another application with the same concept:

http://www.savagehomeautomation.com/pro ... ights.html

S

bcre3306

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi

I tried this but it doesnt work. I would need to turn it on either by the control panel or the remote control.
Thanks

liudr

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:06 pm

If it comes with an IR remote, you can first learn what signals from the IR remote will trigger what function, then use your pi to send these IR signals out with an IR LED to control them. Most classroom automation systems that involve projectors, VCR/DVD players etc use this technique.

To sense the remote and send signal out, I recommend an Arduino UNO. The pi is likely not able to generate reliable 38KHz to 40KHz IR signals with perfect timing.

I can point you to some libraries and code for Arduino if you are interested. I once made an Arduino LED light show kit:

http://www.inmojo.com/store/liudr-ardui ... -show-kit/

This is only the receiving IR remote side of the solution. Once you know what signal means what to the AC unit, you can send them out with an IR LED.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”