KahzdahStudios

Raspberry Pi weather station thing

Thu May 30, 2013 4:52 am

I was just wondering exactly what I would need to make a raspberry pi weather station. And by that I mean I would attach the pi and its sensors to something to raise it high into the air, and then send the readings from the sensors to another computer. so I need to compile a list of materials and sensors to buy. And if I have to connect any of these through GPIO then add in the necessary wires and stuff. I am looking to measure pressure, temperature, wind speed, humidity, and wind direction. I would love any feed back you people have to offer. :)

(Also, if you could add a cost to the needed material, that would be great :D )

Maxion

Re: Raspberry Pi weather station thing

Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 am

Wind direction & speed is the hardest. You can create DIY sensors of that type but it's a bit hard.

For the other; you should find a myriad of sensors by googling. I like the DS18B20's for temperature.

All sensors you'll have to connect via the GPIO pins though, some sensors like the DS18B20 you can connect directly; others you need an ADC in between.

Loboexe

Thu May 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Maxion wrote:Wind direction & speed is the hardest. You can create DIY sensors of that type but it's a bit hard.

For the other; you should find a myriad of sensors by googling. I like the DS18B20's for temperature.

All sensors you'll have to connect via the GPIO pins though, some sensors like the DS18B20 you can connect directly; others you need an ADC in between.
I agree, There are loads of examples on building weather data and air quality sensors that will work with the Pi or Arduino's (or a combination of both) but the wind speed and wind direction bits would be the hardest to home build and calibrate.

You can pick up a decent station - if not aviation or military standard - for well under £100 and there are many to choose from.

I have had a weather station for about a year (Watson 8681) as a stand alone gadget just using the remote LCD display internally. I was unhappy about the location of the wind sensors as they were on a post in my back garden and subject to buffeting caused by the surrounding fences, sheds, trees etc of my neighbors.

I am in the process of moving the two wind sensors to a 10ft mast attached to the back wall of my house just under the eves, this should clear them of any local effects from obstructions on wind speed and direction including the roof !

A simple extension of the cable that connects them to the temperature / pressure sensor which also transmits the data to the internal remote display, means that I can move the rain gauge and temp sensor to a fence post half way down my garden. All the sensors use simple rj11 plugs to connect up.

I have installed weewx (http://www.weewx.com/) software on my Pi to talk to the remote display that came with my weather station and am working on making a web site to display the data in house but it will also publish the data to http://www.weatherunderground.com.

Once I have this bit working reliably I plan to add air quality sensors ( see .http://airpi.es/ ) sunlight sensors, and many more

gfaman

Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello,

I built a weather station 15 years ago from scratch and it is not only sensor and electronical but also mechanical, which is not the easier part. I used some simple sensors for wind direction (potentiometer without the lock), an ILS + magnet for the speed wind. These solution are very easy to manage as Rasp side but again, the mechanical is not trivial. I had many trouble with the rain, storm, which need to always maintain them.

More detail on my weather page http://weather.solarcamlab.com history section about this construction 15 years ago.

Now, as said before, it is quite inexpensive to get a entry range weather station (I'm lucky to live in China and can find some OEM from factory) and connect something to the base.

Like precedent comment, I used also a Raspberry Pi to collect the data, then upload it on my website by wifi. Just I used Pywws, also in Python. Now the graph are not so nice and I'm looking for another solution.

I add a solar camera I develop to make the page more "live" (www.solarcamlab.com).

Laurent

KahzdahStudios

Fri May 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Okay thanks guys that helped a lot!
I'll check out more options for wind speed and direction.
I have a pretty steady list of stuff going now.

gfaman

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 am

Hi,

thinking again about your request, I don t think it is good idea to plug the Rasp to the external sensor or you'll have to put very long wires as these sensors must be outside and high if possible. Moreover, put the Rasp outside is not an option also due to the consumption or need large solar panel.

Laurent

KahzdahStudios

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:43 am

Hi,

thinking again about your request, I don t think it is good idea to plug the Rasp to the external sensor or you'll have to put very long wires as these sensors must be outside and high if possible. Moreover, put the Rasp outside is not an option also due to the consumption or need large solar panel.

Laurent
I will have no problem getting it someplace high with power sockets, I was planning for the pi to send the data to another computer
or even a website. Wirelessly of course, otherwise I'd need a really long Ethernet wire! :)

KahzdahStudios

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:50 am

As far as a list goes I have:
  • 1. A ds18b20 temperature sensor
    2. A bmp085 pressure sensor
    3. A pi cobbler
    4. A half sized breadboard
    5. A GPIO ribbon cable
    6. Some jumper wires
    7. Some 10K and/or 4.7K resistors
I haven't found prices yet since I'm not sure which source to but them from. But I'll probably buy from adafruit or amazon.

Also, does anyone know of a humidity sensor that only senses humidity?

bmstrong

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:06 am

If I may? Is there an add on to the Pi? Sort of like the:

http://www.smartcitizen.me

Environmental monitoring Arduino stack? I live in an apartment and a weather station is a no go but an environmental monitor?

typo148

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:58 am

you can make a wind direction sensor wby making a disk like this: Image and four sensors, either conductivity or light sensors. It could detect 16 unique directions without races.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”