PiModules

UPiS - Uninterruptible Power intelligent Supply

Sat May 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Hello everybody,

We have released a new add-on board for the the Raspberry PI, it is an
UPiS - Uninterruptible Power intelligent Supply, a combined units that hopefully solves all power backup and external voltage supply matters. In addition it is quipped with RTC, 1-WIRE, NO RELAY, ANALOG THERMOMETER, CURRENT MEASURE, ON/OFF switch and many, many more features. If you interesting on that, please visit our page
http://www.pimodules.com

http://www.pimodules.com/downloads/UPiS_Bottom.pdf
http://www.pimodules.com/downloads/UPiS_Top.pdf
http://www.pimodules.com/downloads/UPiS_Top_Battery.pdf

Any comments are welcome !!!!!

Best Regards

kuby83

Re: UPiS - Uninterruptible Power intelligent Supply

Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 am

Eii!

I've read the features and I think this is a great board! I was finding a SAI for my PI and with this I don't need it anymore. I also have an Arduino, have you planned to designed a board for Arduino? Could we know approximately what the price will be? Congratulations for this fantastic board as soon as I need a SAI I'm going to buy one oh this board :D.

Regards,
Miguel

malakai

Tue May 28, 2013 8:04 am

Very nice can't wait to see one of these.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

PiModules

Tue May 28, 2013 8:49 am

Hi,
We are a design office and manufacturer. Our products are available only via distributors. As we are setting up our distributors network, please wait and soon you will see places where you can buy it. Soon, you will see also much more add-on boards from the Pi Modules. Always in a very good price and doing much more than a simple board. Our goal is to combine as most as possible set of functionality related to board we are designing. Regarding the UPiS Module, there are two versions the Basic and Advanced. The suggested prices for the end customer are 40 euro + your country VAT for the Basic, and 55 euro + your country VAT for the Advanced version.
List of our distributors soon will be available on our web page.

We strongly believe that the Raspbarry Pi is the most exciting idea in personal computer field since the beginning of 1980 !!!!! We are the CP/M 2.2 Generation :D if you remember this OS.

My Warmest Regards
Pi Modules

PiModules

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:48 am

Hello,

Just for your info. PCBs arrived to our office for testing and final quality approval. Assembled 2 pcs, and on Monday will be send to SMD manufacturer for mass production. Photos of the assembled final production version will be available on our website http://www.pimodules.com today later on.
Kind Regards
Pi Modules

PiModules

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi,
Just for your info. PCBs have been sent to the SMD manufacturer. A small delay of about 10 days has been notified due to SMD assembly manufacturer overload.
Photos of final version of UPiS placed on the RPi are available here:

http://www.pimodules.com/index-51.html
http://www.pimodules.com/index-52.html
http://www.pimodules.com/index-53.html
http://www.pimodules.com/index-54.html

You can see 4 x 2mm holes for protection plastic cover mounting. Will be available very soon.

Best Regards
Pi Modules

battletux

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Looks to be just what I need for a project I have in mind.
What sort of time frame do you have for these going on sale? and do you have any plans in the future to allow for increasing the battery backup? So that the Pi can run for longer when the mains is down?
http://about.me/andy_mc

PiModules

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi,

We hope to have them here in our office about 20 th of June. After that you can buy it just in next day. WE DO NOT SALE for end users, it is very difficult to us to control the payments and shipping (we are a design office), therefore we sell them via distributors. For time being the first distributor is the http://www.nettop.gr, as far I know they are shipping also to other countries. However please kindly notice that we discuss distribution matters with many other companies, and soon we will announce the complete list of worldwide distributors. Regarding your question about bigger battery the answer is YES, this version will be the UPiS Pro and will be supported with 9500 mAh rechargeable LiPO battery and external powering supply up to 48 VDC. But you have to wait about for it about 2 months. Hope one of our version will cover your project requirements.

Kind Regards
Pi Modules

PiModules

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:53 pm

We have tested for about a week production version of the UPiS Basic with 1150 mAh LiPO battery, with charge and discharge in various powering conditions, and the results of battery running time are 2 hours and 10 minutes after full charge with Raspberry Pi Type B. Soon we will provide the final results for the UPiS Advanced with LiPO battery 2600 mAh
Best Regards
Pi Modules

PiModules

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 pm

We have tested for about a week production version of the UPiS Advanced with 2600 mAh LiPO battery, with charge and discharge in various powering conditions, and the results of battery running time are 4 hour and 55 minutes after full charge with Raspberry Pi Type B.

Best Regards
Pi Master

dauhee

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:04 pm

fantastic!

Can you tell me, how does the on/off switch function? Does it cut the power, or is there a way to inform the OS to shutdown first?

Thanks.

PiModules

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:13 pm

fantastic!

Can you tell me, how does the on/off switch function? Does it cut the power, or is there a way to inform the OS to shutdown first?

Thanks.

So, there are 3 different power switches on the UPiS. The first one is the slide switch which is cutting-off power immediately without any excuse. It is necessary, because each powering unit need to have such type of power off. Therefore, with this slide switch you can at any time switch off the RPi. Of course this switch off is without OS to shutdown first. The second switch is the jumper connecting LiPo Battery. For security reasons, you need to have an option to cut-off the battery power source at any time. So, we have it also, and this power-off is similar to the first one which means that is without OS to shutdown first. An the third power-off is the push button. This type of power off, send information to the OS, that power off is coming soon (programmable time via command), and when you press it, the OS shutdown first and after i.e. 20 second the electrical power will cut-off. There is also possibility to make it programmable and when temperature is too high, or on requested time, it will shutdown the OS, and after that switch off the power. You can also program the power on in the same way. Please kindly notice that due to implemented bootloader, firmware can be continuously updated with new features.

Hope I answer to your question, on CW27 it will be available on distributors for order.
My Warmest Regards
Pi Modules

PiModules

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:47 pm

I forgot to add, that we have implemented also a real-time current consumption measure, so at any programmable time you can shut down the OS, if and cut-off the power i.e. current consumption by the RPi is to high.

BR PiM

genepi

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Great project !
We are interested in your board and we would certainly buy one as soon as it will be available (in France).

I have a few questions :
- suppose the main power has gone, the Pi turns off after a while, but it still draw some current when off. Is the power of the Pi cut in that case (by a relay)?
- then suppose the main power comes back, does the board restart the Pi ?
- what if the battery is really low ?
- and last but not least, what is the price of the board (can't find it on distributor websites) ?

Thanks !

PiModules

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi,
I will start answering from the end of your question. As far they do not have it on their stock they I think not announce the price. We have a suggested price, but distributors are open to do whatever they can. Anyhow I believe that price would be very attractive. It would be about 40 euro +/- 5 I think for the Basic Version. We promised to ship on CW27 and we hope to keep our deadline +/- 2-3 days. As it is a new production we are testing each unit for 24 hours with full charging and discharging cycle.
Going back to your technical questions I will maybe make some clarifications. For the powering sources (including battery) we are not using a Relay as also not using diodes. We are using FET transistors in order to have the smallest possible power loses. The Relay you can see on the board is for the user usage and only for it. It can be controlled from the RPi.
When the main power gone (it could be the External Power – up to 18 VDC, or the micro USB power placed on the UPiS or even the power provided to the micro USB placed on the RPi mother board) it switches automatically to the battery powering – within 100 uS. Within this ultra short time the RPi is powered from the big capacitor placed on the UPiS. Therefore the RPi do not understand (in the powering meaning) that any change happen in the powering source. It is still powered as before. But, there are information sent via RS232 or GPIO the powering is now from the battery. The battery powering is enough for 2 hours for the basic version and for 5 hours for the advanced version. If battery will gone the RPi will be informed that powering is going to be lost and Files Safe shutdown procedure will be initiated. The UPiS is continuously monitoring the RPi current consumption and when it goes very low switch to the LOW POWER MODE (where only RTC is powered).

When power comes back it starts working again or continuously working if it happens when battery was OK. If battery is really low, it initiate the File Safe Shutdown procedure and shutdown the RPi and after 20 seconds stop the powering until power come back.

We are working on the manual, it will be released very soon, but for the moments please check the FAQ document, it answers to all basic questions.

Hope it help,
My Best Regards
PiModules

genepi

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
We want to have a RPi that is totally autonomous for field deployment and that can face any kind of power condition. We started to develop a similar board but we will switch to your board if it meets our requirements.
Our concern is to make sure that the Pi restart itself even in the following case : the main power has gone for a while, the system has started shutdown but during this time, the main power comes back. In that case, the power seen by the Pi is never interrupted and it will never restart.
Does the UPiS handle this case ?
Thanks
Best regards

PiModules

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi,
Look, the UPiS is a powering hardware platform and many, many more. The functionality is defined by the firmware, so due to bootloader functionality it could be uploaded in the user place for ever. As the powering firmware is implemented now, in case of power lose the RPi is continuously powered with a battery. If cable power returns, then it switches again to the cable power. The switching time of power sources is extremely short, and is not recognized by the RPi. The FS shutdown process due to power loss is initiated only when battery capacity is going to be empty, and then when during the FS shutdown comes back, RPi could recognize it testing the GPIO_GEN2 whitch will change their level when cable power comes back. But to see it you need to check that pins also in the RPi. In any case as I explained to you, firmware due to bootloader functionality could be updated for any small or bigger change at any time. Hope I answered to you.
Best Regards
Pi Modules

genepi

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Yes good news, thanks for your replies.
We only wait for availability of the UPiS now. Do you plan to work with some distributors that easily ship to France (Selectronic, Lextronics, Farnell, Radiospares ...) ?

PiModules

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:22 pm

This week we will receive the manufactured devices, please give us 2-3 days for testing. It is a new production and each device is testing for 24 hours. Especially because it is a powering device. Until now it will be available from listed distributors on our website, however much more are will be listed very soon.

BR PiM

genepi

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:32 am

Any news of the production and sales ?

Thanks

PiModules

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:40 am

Hi,

We just making tests of each unit in order to start distribution to resellers. As it is first lot of assembled units and it is new products and in addition it is a powering device a special care has been taken in the testing procedure in order to avoid any possible problem on the customer side. Each product is tested with a full charge and discharge battery cycle, extend temperature working as also peripherals testing. This week we will finalize this procedure and ship orders to distributors. Sorry for this small delay, but we are very sensitive about quality of our products, and we do not like to release units to the market without to be 110% sure that everything is working properly.
Please be patient only a few days more.
My Warmest Regards
Pi Modules

PiModules

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi,

Please find some attached photos for your reference, before you buy it (hopefully).

It is the UPiS Advanced without placed battery on the top, and UPiS Advanced place on the Raspberry Pi. The UPiS on the photo is with top-end connector, it is also possible to have stack version with pins on the top in order to put more boards. This production lot is green.
My Warmest Regards
Pi Modules
Attachments
UPiS_Advanced#3.jpg
UPiS_Advanced#3.jpg (55.69 KiB) Viewed 11382 times
UPiS_Advanced#2.jpg
UPiS_Advanced#2.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 11382 times
UPiS_Advanced#1.jpg
UPiS_Advanced#1.jpg (60.83 KiB) Viewed 11382 times
Last edited by PiModules on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genepi

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Good news !

Yes we plan to buy at least one unit for test. Where will it be available first ? Any distributor in France ?

Regards

PiModules

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi,

Until now we do not have distributor in France, please select one of the listed on our website. As I wrote before we ship units to distributors this week.
My Warmest Regards
Pi Modules

PiModules

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 am

Hi,

We have a small delay in testing procedure, due to big number of tested units, and extensively testing. Therefore units will be available from the next week.

Sorry about that
Best Regards
PiModules

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”