dan3008

Egg bot

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:56 pm

I know that the pi has been embedded into egg bots to make them essentially standalone items. but what i was hopeing to do, was to be able to make an egg plotter from scratch, that I could just give my pi a picture, and it'd do the rest.

At the moment, I'd settle for simply being able to control the pen moment (up/down, left/right) and rotate the egg on command, I'd then work on actually sorting the image stuff.

Thanks

Daniel
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

dan3008

Re: Egg bot

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:55 am

Ok, So i've worked out that I need to run 2 stepper motors and I'm really not sure what i need to lift/lower the pen.

any more advice would help.

stijn.ghesquiere

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:50 pm

A servo motor to lift/lower the pen?
The Servoblaster module for the pi makes it easy to control servo's.

dan3008

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:08 pm

stijn.ghesquiere wrote:A servo motor to lift/lower the pen?
The Servoblaster module for the pi makes it easy to control servo's.
cool, I've actually just been looking at some of the diagrams of the original egg bot and was just comeign to that conclusion myself.

I've not seen the Servoblaster module. I'll take a look at that, thanks. Any ideas on a easy way to control stepper motors? lol

thanks

dan

dan3008

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:01 pm

ok, taken a few weeks (including a few days on the forum) but ive worked out what I need to do

So, anyone got any advice for attaching 2 stepper motors and one servo to the pi via gpio?

And what the best motors would be?

thanks

daniel

tenochtitlanuk

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 am

Eggbots are fun, are they not!
I've posted several times on them on the Forum. http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 87#p286087
Two steppers from old printers. A RC servo. An EiBotBoard interface. Motor psu 'brick'. Install Inkscape & the extensions- & away you go. Slow to LOAD, but runs the mechanics as fast as I need..
EBB is USB interface & stepper motor drivers in one. I swap mine in & out of various projects, such as my inverse-panoramas. Currently playing with bead-sorters- give it a mixed pile of two colours, and obtain two colours separately, or given separate bins, produce a pre-chosen sequence. Or, DNA-like, given a sequence, produce an anti-sequence ( base-pairs)

dan3008

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:07 am

I've looked at an EBB, but i've found them difficult to get hold of, and after shipping to the uk, a bit more than i really want to pay, so i was going to control everything through the gpio. By keeping track of the stepper positions, It should be totally possible to turn the egg and SVG image into a series of coordinates, and to just plot the coordinates. the hard part at the moment is working out how to step both motors at the same time, since i work in python mainly, but i can get round that by simply alternating steps between the two motors.

I may yet end up going for an EBB yet, but thats my last option

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”