tobysmith

Cheap and Simple Home Automation Project

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew a cheap home automation project with clear and simple instructions as I have looked at various guides but these all were quite complex, I am just a beginer in electronisc and in the Rasbperry Pi, and were also very expensive some over £2,00 so I was wondering if any of you had a cheap alternative under £20!
:?: :oops: :idea:

Thanks
Toby

ant_thomas

Re: Cheap and Simple Home Automation Project

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Home automation in what sense?

You can buy a temperature sensors, relays and PIR sensors for less than £2 each.

tobysmith

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 pm

ant_thomas wrote:Home automation in what sense?

You can buy a temperature sensors, relays and PIR sensors for less than £2 each.
Thanks Thomas,

I was wondering about turning lights and computers and electric devices on and off? If you have any good links for sensors could you please provide some devices that i will be able to controal from my rassbery pi or an iPhone 3,4 and 5.

Toby

babbage

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:06 pm

Bash,
I would take small steps first if you are a beginner. Get something like the Pi Face or gertboard, and then look up simple tutorials using those first. Also have a look on the Adafruit Website as they have good tutorials as well.
Once you have got the basics, then you can go onto more complicated things.
An automatic door lock, imho, isn't something to experiment on, only to find when you get home someone has experimented with taking all your stuff !

BA5H wrote:MOD edit: Deleted spamming post

dauhee

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:50 pm

you could use rcswitch, a 433Mhz transmitter to turn on/off homeeasy/KnK/bye bye standby sockets. I haven't tried it for others but I believe rcswitch works for a wide range of 433Mhz sockets.

transmitter chip can be gotten for 1Eur and sockets for about 10Eur for 2.

If you have any questions let me know.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”