MarkTerrazzino

Model railroading

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:10 am

Hi all I plan on usinge a few Pi's for different things. One is a wearable conputer with possible google glasses. But I want to try a baby step first. that would be hooking up a digital command control repeater to control a layout. The low power consumtion would be great. I have a CRT ready for the PI. Anyone have any Ideas as to besides Python i could use to make the app for the DCC control?

I have not decided on the DCC system I am going to buy yet. Most likely a digitrax model.

Mark Terrazzino

neilf

Re: Model railroading

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Search the forum using 'model railway'. You'll find plenty of threads covering this topic already.

Burngate

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Do be aware that the Pi is British, and as such has no truck with such post-colonial terms as "Railroad"

Patrick222122

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:25 pm

It been a few years since I install DCC on my own layout, so I am a little out of date with terminology, but I do know one thing, If you are trying to create accurately timed pulses like those required by a DCC system, I would not use the Pi. I would use a microcontroler like the Parrallax propellor(There is A DCC object in the proepllor object exchange) to do the actual pulsing and communicate with the pi via a USB cable

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”