seb007

Home automation project

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 am

Hi,

I'd like to use a raspberry pi for the complete automation of my house.

I don't have a lot of time to set it up now, but I need to start the electrical installation. So, at first, I would like to pass all the cables and get a working installation using 12v remote control switches. Do you think is it a good idea?

However, I don't know how I can make the raspberry pi talk with the relays when I will want to use start the home automation project. Is there an interface that I can buy, able to drive multiple relays (and able to control various features such as dimmers)?

Thanks,
Sébastien

ski522

Re: Home automation project

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Why not look at something like X10 modules that used existing electrical wiring or something similar? I'm doing this now controlling all the lighting in my house with just some basic python and bash scripts. Lots of home grown apps too that can be used or modified.

seb007

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks for the answer.

I need to make a completely new installation, so I was thinking about something cheaper with distinct command/power. It looks like X10 switches and modules will be more expensive, right?

I am looking for an interface with several inputs/outputs between the raspberry pi and the relays to command those ones.

silverfox0786

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:39 pm

it might be a good idea to try the gertbord and relays

i saw on youtube someone do that with a light and fan and the relays trigger them to turn on and off whne needed

so fan on when temp hi and off when low an dlight on and off acording to a LSR

kgrr

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:12 pm

This could be a start ...
http://nwazet.com/nwazet-pecan-pi-relays

seb007

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Looks great! And allows chaining. I have an issue with this card: It includes the 250v relays. I'd like to use regular relays, because I doubt those ones will be accepted during the installation inspection by officials (Belgian norms). However, I can certainly use those relays to command the "regular" relays.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”