raspberrypiguy1

Other items for a awesome Robot!!!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Dear forumers!

My robot is coming along nicely! (And don't worry I am going to be doing several tutorials on it!)... But there are a few things I still need! I have all the motors and Ultrasonic distance sensors sorted out now... But I am in need of a few other things to make this truely awesome! For example: I was thinking of mounting a small screen on its back for quick easy access to Python files etc.... Anyone know of a cheap small screen? That works with the Pi? 3.5 inch or a little bigger?

And also I have seen many a robot with cameras on their fronts! How would I go about doing this for example? To stream the footage to another computer (Windows) in the same wifi range? And what about remote control? How would something like Radio Frequency work wih the Pi? Or maybe a wireless keyboard with a fairly big range? Any one got any ideas?

I am quite a novice to this particular area!

Thanks a million

The Raspberry Pi Guy!
Matt, The Raspberry Pi Guy YouTube channel, author of Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi, available now: http://mybook.to/raspirobots, Computer Science & Electronics Undergraduate at The University of Edinburgh

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Other items for a awesome Robot!!!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Texy is selling small LCD screens that connect to RaspPis. It would take some work to get a command prompt on there, as they don't replace the standard screen, but a 3.5" screen is never going to be usable over composite or HDMI.

If you wait for the Foundation's camera board, it would be perfect for your application.

raspberrypiguy1

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Ahhh... Ok!

Do you know of any other ways to be able to initialize Python files without having to tether it to a monitor every time?

Thanks for answering!

The Raspberry Pi Guy
Matt, The Raspberry Pi Guy YouTube channel, author of Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi, available now: http://mybook.to/raspirobots, Computer Science & Electronics Undergraduate at The University of Edinburgh

jamiesk

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:30 am

raspberrypiguy1 wrote: Do you know of any other ways to be able to initialize Python files without having to tether it to a monitor every time?
Do you mean to run them ? If the Pi is on the network the enable ssh and use a pc or tablet or smartphone to log into the pi.

If not then type carefully :lol: :D
Pi1 (Nov 2012 loft)= 1KW immersion controller for Solar panel
Pi2 (Jan 2013 living room)=Play thing
Pi3 (Feb 2013 mobile)= Play thing with Tandy Ladder board,breakout board,Nokia display
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28193

kujz

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:44 am

The easiest way to view the command line is to ssh into your pi over wifi from a smart phone.

Not sure about iphones but there are definitely apps for android devices.

As for the camera, simply plug in a webcam (check its compatibility) and use something like mjpg-streamer which creates it own web server and streams the video over a desirable port. This can also be viewed via a smartphone over wifi.

Hope this helps.

raspberrypiguy1

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks! I will definitely look into these!

The Raspberry Pi Guy

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”