kulminaator

Controlling many servos from rpi by the help of some avr-s

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:09 am

Another robot building attempt here.

My plan: building a snake from 8 servos (snake built from 9 sections, 8 servos to turn them (4 servos can turn the next part left or right and 4 servos can turn the next part up or down, the different turning directions would be interleaved for flexibility)).

Current design idea:
  • * RPI does the thinking and communication with the rest of the world over wifi
    * Atmel's avr-s (atmega328 in my case) are in charge of driving servos
    * RPI would communicate with the atmega over I2C bus from the GPIO connector.
    * Servos pick up timings from atmegas and turn the sections.
Current part list that i have:
  • * rpi with a nano wifi card
    * 2 atmega328 chips (and an avr dragon to program these over isp programming)
    * 8 digital servos (got them pretty cheap from hobbyking)
    * some leds and other common circuit parts (and a 3300 uF cap to stabilize the voltage)
    * 4xAA NiMH battery pack
Issues that i have to iron out:
  • * power (rpi and atmegas can share the power easily, putting the servos on the same power source is stretching it quite a bit (even with a big cap and when using the servos one by one))
    * stability of communication
    * debugging on the run what the atmegas are doing
    * having to write some C code for the avr-s to translate the I2C messages to servo states.

My reasoning why i don't drive the servos directly from RPI's GPIO:
1) too afraid to lose my RPI (it would take a while to order a new one)
2) i don't want to stress the timings, RPI is good at running linux and atmegas are good at timing servo signals, in addition the atmegas have 6 pwm channels each ...
3) atmegas have some other nice features that i may want to use at some point (i will still have several unused i/o pins

Little ascii art to demonstrate the idea too:

Code: Select all

RPI
 ||
 || /* I2C bus */
 ||
 ||                                               servo1 servo2 servo3  servo4
 ||  = atmega328   ---------(pwm channels) --------/-------/------/------/
 ||
 ||                                               servo5 servo6 servo7  servo8
 ||  = atmega328   ---------(pwm channels) --------/-------/------/------/
 ||  
 ||  =  /* any other future device i  want to add here, as long as bandwidth can take it */
 ||
If you have any good suggestions to share, please do (and if you want to steal part of the idea, please do, i don't mind).

rew

Re: Controlling many servos from rpi by the help of some avr

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:45 pm

If you want you can buy: i2c_servo or spi_servo. Each board handles up to 7 servos. You can daisy chain as many as you want from a raspberry pi. (well, ok. there is a 120 maximum per bus, so with two SPI and one I2C bus, you'd get into trouble after 2520 servos. :-) )

Then you can concentrate on programming the 'pi. The AVR doing the PWM for the servos has already been done, as well as the communications protocols.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

kulminaator

Re: Controlling many servos from rpi by the help of some avr

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:42 pm

rew wrote:If you want you can buy: i2c_servo or spi_servo.
Well ... it's a bit too late to change my mind right now, but i will keep these in mind for any next attempts for sure, they look as if they can save a bunch of time :-) Nice products (and a nice price too).

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”