conorcleary

Alarm Control

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi all,

Im brand new to the world of Raspberry Pi and quite excited about what can be done with it. Basically I already have an intruder alarm installed in my house, I know quite a bit about the workings of them. It has outputs which can alert you if the system is going off but it also has inputs that let you arm/disarm the system. Basically I was hoping to be able to control these io's using an iPhone. Just wondering do I need to buy anything extra to connect the Rasp Pi to the io's on the alarm panel? Or can I just use jump wires as the wiring is just for signal rather than something carrying current.

I know some people have done similar projects but they all seem to directly connect the sensors to the raspberry pi, I want to connect the alarm panels io's to the Raspberry Pi.

Hoagie

Re: Alarm Control

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Short answer (to the will I need extra hardware question) - most likely.

It all depends on the inputs and outputs available on the alarm system. If the outputs are relay type (where a pair of connections are connected together or not to signal an active or inactive output) or 3.3v logic (highly unlikely) then you'll be able to just use jump wires. If the input is 3.3v logic, the Pi should be able to just drive it, but it's unlikely that they'd expose that kind of IO in an alarm system.

Basically, without knowing some more information about the IO on the system, there's no way to know.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”