viral666

Suggested Parts for ATM Machine?

Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:49 pm

I want to create a machine that is able to read the amount of euros or US dollars inserted into it. (either in coins or paper bills, there is no need for it to be able to give money back, so the money will only be put into it not out of it)

I did some research and found that there is a coin sensor that costs ~20usd and a paper bill sensor that costs 200usd.

My issues:
For the paper bill sensor, I have no idea if it is compatible with the RaspPi and is extremely pricy for me.
(coin sensors price is ok but if there is a good alternative let me know, as well as useful info for my project!)

The sensors must be extremely accurate!

Has anyone worked on a similar product and would like to recommend something? Thanks in advance!

scotty101

Re: Suggested Parts for ATM Machine?

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:29 am

viral666 wrote:
extremely pricy for me.
You get what you pay for. If you want extreme accuracy, expect to pay a premium price.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:00 am

You also need to be able to update the firmware in the note acceptor. Or things will go wrong when your central bank issues a new note (like our Turner twenty) https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknot ... pound-note

Dave Jones (EEVBlog) takes one apart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOzP5Vl-CIk
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

incognitum

Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:47 pm

viral666 wrote:
I did some research and found that there is a coin sensor that costs ~20usd and a paper bill sensor that costs 200usd.
Might be cheaper to see if you can take the sensor out of an existing unit then.
The simple units used in shops to detect counterfeit money, that you put a bill in, and it shows the amount on a display can be found for less (e.g. Safescan 155-S is under 100 EUR here in Europe, although they may not do USD by default).
Last edited by incognitum on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattmiller

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:50 pm

What is the machine going to be used for?

Do you need it to detect counterfeit currency or just distinguish between different denominations of notes?

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”