wirenut1980

Automated Projector Screen With Raspberry Pi

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm

I have a automated home theater that is network based. When I say "theater mode" it turns on the receiver, the projector and dims the lights. I recently added a motorized screen in the ceiling, and would like to automate this as well when the projector comes on. Is there a way to have the Pi monitor the network for this activity and activate a relay? Any help on this would be great.

IanS

Re: Automated Projector Screen With Raspberry Pi

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 pm

One possibility is to have the power to the raspberry turned on at the same time as the projector. It would then lower the screen on boot. Your problem then moves to the end of the film, when you need to signal it to retract the screen and shutdown cleanly.
Controlling a relay is trivial - you will find plenty of examples online.
Using a small relay that stands in place of a button to signal up or down to the screen motor is obviously a lot safer than trying to control mains voltage. If you really need to switch mains voltage and do not have absolute confidence that you know what you are doing I would suggest something like an Energenie (https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pi-m ... gJtYPD_BwE) instead of trying to use a relay.

wirenut1980

Re: Automated Projector Screen With Raspberry Pi

Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:52 pm

Thank you for the great reply, I'll have to try a few things from your thoughts and see what I can come up with.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”