sayhello

use-cases: Control DC and Stepper Motors with L298N or with DAYPOWER Motor-9110

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:32 pm

hello dear Raspi-Experts good day,

use-cases: Control DC and Stepper Motors with L298N or with DAYPOWER Motor-9110 - different use-scenarios
some one have example how to use l298n with motors.
Friends of me use it with a raspi based -Control DC and Stepper Motors With L298N Dual Motor Controller Modules and Raspi.
And now i need to use it - First of all i have to explain the use-case: whether i want to

- controlling steppers or
- DC motors as both are different code.

Second - i have to look after the specs of the motors i want to control(voltage/amperage)
considering the L298n: One of the advantage of the L298n; it has a very big forward voltage of 2.8v so is incredibly inefficient that's why they come with such a big heat sink. The only advantage is the the L298n will run at voltages as high as 48v at current as high as 4amp
But wait - for all small robotics I tend to use a smaller motor-driver than the L298n; Note the N298n it is a bit outdated. For small robotic-projects we also can use for example the l9110s as it forward voltage is very low - 0.7v so it is a really very efficient H-bridge motor-driver: but according the specs, it is only rated to 12v at peak current of 1.5amp. That is quite very good - isn+t it!?

What i do need is some example code of l9110s and example of connecting the wires. What is wanted: well i need to take a car forward and back. But first of all it is important to find out which motor i can use with the l 9110? so i have to make up my mind to decide what type and size of motors i should be using.

i thought of using:

- driving stepper motors or
- DC motors and

besides that - what are the voltage and amperage of the motors for me to know if a L9110 is suitable for the motors.
Here is the datasheet https://www.elecrow.com/download/datasheet-l9110.pdf Wiring the L9110: it is dual H-bridge so can drive 2 DC motors. each motor will need 2 input pins from the micro-controller.

see the project i have in mind: see the lego-things i am workin on - at the moment

arduinized_8256__7.jpeg
arduinized_8256__7.jpeg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 157 times
which motor do you think i have to use - in combination with the L9110 ?
love to hear from you
arduinized_8256__7.jpeg
arduinized_8256__7.jpeg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 157 times

The L298 is a dual H-bridge driver for DC brushed motors and stepper motors. It supports a wide operating voltage range and can deliver 2 A per channel in a through-hole package that is accessible for do-it-yourself projects.

General specifications
Motor driver: L298N
Motor channels: 2
Maximum operating voltage: 46 V
Peak output current per channel: 2 A
Minimum logic voltage: 4.5 V
Maximum logic voltage: 7 V
Package: Multiwatt15

https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduin ... -Controll/

Usage:
H-Bridge's are typically used in controlling motors speed and direction, but can be used for other projects such as driving the brightness of certain lighting projects such as high powered LED arrays.
How it works:
An H-Bridge is a circuit that can drive a current in either polarity and be controlled by *Pulse Width Modulation (PWM).
* Pulse Width Modulation is a means in controlling the duration of an electronic pulse. In motors try to imagine the brush as a water wheel and electrons as a the flowing droplets of water. The voltage would be the water flowing over the wheel at a constant rate, the more water flowing the higher the voltage. Motors are rated at certain voltages and can be damaged if the voltage is applied to heavily or if it is dropped quickly to slow the motor down. Thus PWM. Take the water wheel analogy and think of the water hitting it in pulses but at a constant flow. The longer the pulses the faster the wheel will turn, the shorter the pulses, the slower the water wheel will turn. Motors will last much longer and be more reliable if controlled through PWM.

Pins:
Out 1: Motor A lead out
Out 2: Motor A lead out
Out 3: Motor B lead out
Out 4: Mo (Can actually be from 5v-35v, just marked as 12v)
GND: Ground
5v: 5v input (unnecessary if your power source is 7v-35v, if the power source is 7v-35v then it can act as a 5v out)
EnA: Enables PWM signal for Motor A (Please see the "Arduino Sketch Considerations" section)
In1: Enable Motor A
In2: Enable Motor A
In3: Enable Motor B
In4: Enable Motor B
EnB: Enables PWM signal for Motor B (Please see the "Arduino Sketch Considerations" section)
Specifications:

Double H bridge Drive Chip: L298N
Logical voltage: 5V Drive voltage: 5V-35V
Logical current: 0-36mA Drive current: 2A (MAX single bridge)
Max power: 25W
Dimensions: 43 x 43 x 26mm
Weight: 26g

update: my distributor suggests this one

https://www.pollin.de/p/schrittmotor-se ... -5v-310543
steppermotor - Schrittmotor-Set DAYPOWER S-SPSM-5V

this is a steppermotor with a driver-module

Steppermotor und Treiber-Platine als perfektes Set für unzählige Anwendungen im Robotik-, Modellbau- oder Lernbereich. Ideal in Kombination mit dem ARDUINO oder Raspberry Pi!

Technische Daten: - Treiber-Board mit IC ULN2003A- Betriebsspannung: 5 V-
- Status-LEDs: 4
- Maße (LxB): 41x21,5 mm

Technische Daten: - Motor 28BYJ-48- Betriebsspannung: 5 V
- Phasen: 4
- Schrittwinkel: 5,625° (64 Schritte/Umdrehung)
- Ausführung: Unipolar
- Gleichstromwiderstand : 50 Ω
- Drehmoment: > 34,3 mNm
- Getriebeübersetzung: 1/64
- Motor-Ø: 28 mm
- Welle: Ø 5mm, beidseitig abgeflacht
- Befestigungsloch-Abstand: 35 mm
Attachments
arduinized_8256__4.jpeg
arduinized_8256__4.jpeg (9.29 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”