wren

Adafruit Perma Proto Bonnet Mini confusion

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:36 am

I have a simple project with the Pi Zero W and two I2C sensors. I would really like to make it nice and neat using the Adafruit Perma Proto Bonnet Mini. When I look at the back side it is obvious which holes are connected. What is not so obvious are the sides and red line.

Which of these is the right?

A) 10 x 3V; + 8 x 3V; 10 x 5V; + 13 x 5V
B) 6 x SDA; 6 x SCL; 6 x Pin-20; 6 x Pin-21; 8 x 3V; 13 x 5V
C) Something completely different

Back
Front

pcmanbob

Re: Adafruit Perma Proto Bonnet Mini confusion

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:21 am

If you are having trouble relating one side of the PCB to the other , simple answer is to use 2 pieces of bent wire , push them through from one side then turn the PCB over and see were then are on the other side now you can relate the markings to the actual tracks.

but from looking at the PCB there are 8 x 5v , 13 x 3v & 21 Gnd.

We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

wren

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:39 pm

This is the part that has me confused. Sorry for confusing you in my confusion lol.

I'll probably go ahead and purchase it then test it. I can work around it either way.

pcmanbob

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:17 pm

Well if you look at the PCB those are just rows of 5 individual holes no connection between them.
You can clearly see that if you look at the other side of the PCB.
So I don't understand what the problem is.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

wren

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:00 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:17 pm
Well if you look at the PCB those are just rows of 5 individual holes no connection between them.
You can clearly see that if you look at the other side of the PCB.
So I don't understand what the problem is.
The holes connecting the GPIO and the row below listing pin numbers aren't visibly connected either. I would assume this is a multi layer PCB. Having holes connecting to nothing is not only silly, but pointless. I would like to give the people who designed this a little more credit.

rpdom

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:59 am

wren wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:00 am
Having holes connecting to nothing is not only silly, but pointless.
I disagree. There are many generic "proto" boards on the market that just consist of a matrix of through plated holes that aren't connected to anything. Components can be soldered to these boards and connections made between them by soldering wires in place. It is a good way to build a development project.

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:26 am

In my experience, such holes are storage positions where unused components can safely be kept until required so as not to lose them.

On this product they appear to be just ordinary protoboard holes.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

wren

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 am

I will stick with a breadboard while I get all the hardware and scripts running to my liking. If anyone knows of a small mountable breadboard, I guess that is what I need instead.
Thanks for the tips and guidance!

pcmanbob

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 am

If you are comfortable using a breadboard than may be using a PCB that's laid out the same way would be more suitable for you.

another adafruit product.

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:35 am

wren wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 am
If anyone knows of a small mountable breadboard, I guess that is what I need instead.
There's a breadboard case with Tcobbler (sold separately) available from ModMyPi

https://core-electronics.com.au/modmypi ... -case.html

Note that it is not Pi4b compatible!

(You'll probably need to look for it in your country)
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

DarrenHill

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 am

Another option is the proto-zero:

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/protozero
https://thepihut.com/products/protozero

The holes are connected mostly in blocks of 3 (except on the short edges where there are blocks of 4, usually used for power/gnd) and the GPIO pins are taken out to their own holes (the two rows just below the actual GPIO header). You can then wire them up as you wish, and put components across the hole groups either horizontally or vertically between different blocks.

There is also a full-sized version of it, but I can't find any links to that so it may have been discontinued.

Also the guy behind it (Richard Saville) is a top bloke, having dealt with him when this was originally Kickstarter'd back in 2015.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”