captainjack

sending MMS to phone

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:42 am

hi there,
first, i'm new to raspberry pi world. i'm currently working on home alarm project and i wanted to ask whether its possible to capture an image using motion detection camera and send it to my phone by MMS. if u have any idea, please advice me.

iainmaoileoin

Re: sending MMS to phone

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:02 pm

How much hardware do you want to build; or do you want to buy off the shelf?
What sort of budget are you on?
Do you own any old phones that can be driven by a PC?
Is your RaPi wirelessable to something with an internet connection in your house?
Can you email yourself a picture from a PC?
etc

JeremyF

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:28 pm

You should be able to automate sending an email and generally you can email SMS/MMS messages. (ex. to text a Verizon cell phone, just do [email protected] -- it's different for every carrier)

This assumes that the phone has service though.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

captainjack

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:55 pm

iainmaoileoin wrote:How much hardware do you want to build; or do you want to buy off the shelf?
What sort of budget are you on?
Do you own any old phones that can be driven by a PC?
Is your RaPi wirelessable to something with an internet connection in your house?
Can you email yourself a picture from a PC?
etc
- actually, i don't want use too much sensors (basically i would use a magnetic sensor, and a motion detection camera), i just want to build a prototype of an alarm, the prototype should just send an MMS to the owners phone with an image of the intruder taken from the scene. the role of the motion detection camera is to alert the system of an intruder if the magnetic sensor failed to do so + taking picture from the scene.
- regarding the raspberry pi wireless connection im thinking of using broadband wireless connection.
- my budget is about 200 USD.
- i know its possible to send an image using email to email, but im assuming that the owner doesn't have internet connection on his cell phone.
- i do have old phones, but if u have a specific model u think its useful please recommend.
Last edited by captainjack on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captainjack

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:00 pm

JeremyF wrote:You should be able to automate sending an email and generally you can email SMS/MMS messages. (ex. to text a Verizon cell phone, just do [email protected] -- it's different for every carrier)

This assumes that the phone has service though.
but in my country (Malaysia), this service is not provided anymore. i have seen some old topics about using this method in Malaysia, but when i try it doesn't work, and i contacted the service provider and they told me that this service is not provided anymore.

i appreciate your cooperation :)

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”