pizzaslice

Powering Pi 3 B+ and 6 or 12V Peristaltic Pump

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:05 pm

I am looking to run a 6V or 12V peristaltic pump with a Pi 3 B+, which will also need power for a camera module V2 and a USB flashdrive.

The pumps I've found draw between 250-300mA during use, so powering it through the GPIO is not really an option. In a previous iteration of this project, a solenoid valve was supplemented with a 9V battery, but as the peristaltic pump will be active for longer periods of time it'd chew up batteries pretty quickly at that power draw.

What I'm looking for: a power supply configuration that would allow me to provide 2A to the Pi, and also 500mA at 6V or 12V to the pump. I have a breadboard for logical control of the pump and diode shielding of the GPIO, and can use that to step down voltages as needed as well. Any help or experience with a project like this is appreciated!

blimpyway

Re: Powering Pi 3 B+ and 6 or 12V Peristaltic Pump

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:34 am

I would go with a 12V mains supply that powers both the peristaltic pump and a step-down DC converter which provides 5V, 3A for the PI.
Search for LM2596, or any DC-DC step down buck converters

Since most of these converters need more than 1V drop between input and output, avoid the 6V pumps and use the 12V ones

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”