MihaNa

Monitoring machine status

Sun May 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Hello guys.
Firstly I would like to be known that I am complete beginner in Raspberry Pi.

So what I would like to do is monitor my cnc machines status. Every machine has a light tower. Green for machine has finished the process, blinking yellow for machine is working and red for machine has stopped because of an error.
I was thinking if there is a possibility to connect this light tower to raspberry and then a program would send different notification depending which light turned on. FYI light tower uses 12V led.

Is this even possible or even better has anything like that ever been created?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Andyroo

Re: Monitoring machine status

Sun May 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You could use a simple light detector for each signal and attach one detector to the outside of each colour. This saves opening the case and voiding any warranty / engineering issues.

A simple 'light dependant resistor' (LDR) would do the job fine with a little bit of software as you only need to detect on / off states.

Have a look at this project https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-light-sensor/ for a starting point. A Pi Zero W would be able to do this without working up a sweat :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

omegaman477

Re: Monitoring machine status

Mon May 13, 2019 5:46 pm

MihaNa wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:51 pm
Hello guys.
Firstly I would like to be known that I am complete beginner in Raspberry Pi.

So what I would like to do is monitor my cnc machines status. Every machine has a light tower. Green for machine has finished the process, blinking yellow for machine is working and red for machine has stopped because of an error.
I was thinking if there is a possibility to connect this light tower to raspberry and then a program would send different notification depending which light turned on. FYI light tower uses 12V led.

Is this even possible or even better has anything like that ever been created?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
A fancy, but unwired option would be to use a colour camera and look for RED light in certain areas. One camera could monitor a whole floor given the totem lamps where bright enough.

There are single chip colour detectors available, and very sensitive if I remember.
..the only thing worse than a stupid question is a question not asked.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”