perfo

Read Data from Pi without WIFI

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:42 am

Hello All, I'm not quite sure how to word this question so I will start with what I am trying to achieve.

The RPI will be happily reading data presented to its GPIO and I want to be able to view this data on a standard phone.

The easiest way I can think of is set up the RPI as a web server and create an ad hoc WIFI network. The phone could connect to this network and view the web page.
The problem with this is the user of the phone would have to switch networks every time they want to view the data. This device will be being used where there may or may not be an existing network to connect to so it can rely on joining another WiFi net either.

Is it possible to do this ad hoc networking over blue tooth with the RPI ? Not forgetting I can't install anything other than standard software (ie from the apple or android store) on the phone..as it wont be my phone.
Thanks

blimpyway

Re: Read Data from Pi without WIFI

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:03 pm

In theory it is possible to have IP over bluetooth and have connection setup "magically" whenever phone is within range of a certain bluetooth device (like PI) but unless you find such application already existing on Google Play or Apple store, there-s no way you can do what you want without having to write that app yourself and install it on each phone you want to use it.

blimpyway

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Another ways would be to

1. use a public/cloud MQTT broker to pass messages between PI and any phone on this planet.

2. Use dynamic IP to have a PI (and its own web server/application) visible to the whole internet and connect to it from any phone/laptop/PC which has internet access.

perfo

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks for the answers.
If I could find an app that already does it over blue tooth for apple and android then that would be a great possibility (though I haven't found one yet).
I could write one for android (possibly) but it's far too much faff to publish one for apple stuff.
The problem with your second suggestion ( which would work of course) is there may not be another network in range. Ie you may be the middle of a field. So I could put a GMS module on the Pi and do it over the phone network but this is going to be an expensive solution.
The magically connect as the phone comes in range is the one I'm after though it doesn't seem that doable at the mo.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”