Vavl

Quadcopter autopilot

Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:19 am

Hello guys

I have a raspberry pi 3 model b and I want to build a quadcopter. For educational purposes, I want to put an autopilot mode on it and upgrade it. I found some autopilots on the web (ardupilot and px4), but they are tied to specific sensors (navio and pixhawk) and they can’t really be modified to other sensors. Please tell me any autopilot models for quadcopter with the possibility of upgrading to connect other sensors and with possibility of improving the whole system of autopilot (does not require full autonomy, but only the possibility of flying with / without remote control)

Joel_Mckay

Re: Quadcopter autopilot

Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:33 pm

Vavl wrote: Please tell me any autopilot models for quadcopter with the possibility of upgrading to connect other sensors and with possibility of improving the whole system of autopilot (does not require full autonomy, but only the possibility of flying with / without remote control)
There are many commercial groups and academic events focused on these problems.
While there are fairly complete projects around, they are primarily constrained by their intended use cases.... so the hardware is standardized for each platform.

Programmable quadcopter ARM based controllers are quite common, but have several trade-offs like any modular system.
In general, it is usually still easier to buy a complete build-it-yourself kit, and know what you are buying...

Best of luck,
~J~

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”