YART - at least the acronym looks good.
I am looking to build a weekly thermostat for my heater at home. I would be mostly grateful for any comments or suggestions. I have looked at many projects out there, but it seems that none of them meet my requirements. I have probably missed some, so maybe I am wrong.
My requirements are as follows:
- reliable - this I think eliminates all the fancy big frameworks. I installed Cayenne - and it was so erratic and unreliable that I gave up on it. Domoticz might be ok, but it doesn't have a visual weekly editor, or does it?
- rather simple - one sensor and one heating device being controlled with on/off logic
- remote access for monitoring and control from the internet
- all the logic locally on the raspberry, so that if the internet goes down it will continue to work
I have a thermometer:
https://botland.com.pl/czujniki-tempera ... zarny.html
And a relay:
https://botland.com.pl/przekazniki/1997 ... ka-5v.html
I have actually put it all together with domoticz:
So, the idea is to drive the whole thing from a google calendar.
1. I would create a plan of heating temperatures as events in a calendar.
2. I would use IFTTT to copy those to the raspberry as text files via dropbox or similar. I would support only recurring weekly events and maybe some special ones (for temporary program override).
3. On the raspberry there would be a script running once a minute, which would:
- check if there are any changes coming from the calendar, and based on that
- add or delete entries to the cron table for changing the set temperature
4. The above cron entries would just run another script, which would change the set temperature in a text file.
5. Another script would act as a simple thermostat, being executed say every 30s.
6. I would have to implement some additionat functionality for turning the whole thing on and off, etc.
7. I would restart the raspberry once a day to ensure OS stability.
For monitoring I would just use a standard tool such as domoticz.
Any ideas? Is this a good or bad idea? Stupid? Dangerous? Already done?