Dominica0512

Communicating with other sensors distributed to other spaces

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Hello good forks,

I am currently conducting a design prototypes project with using RPi 3 B

I try to make several sensors (distributed in the home --e.g., other rooms) communicate with one central design prototype at home. (I attached the picture).

More specifically, one sensor box (in the center of home) receives sensor data from distributed sensors in real time, and depending on the data, the sensor box will give users some visual feedback (e.g., changing lights or showing some movements).

To achieve this, I have tried ThinkSpeak and its Talk-back application, and realized that its wifi connection/data receivers are really unstable (I might be wrong).

I have been looking for simpler solutions other than this since this summer but haven't found it yet.
Any suggestion will be really helpful at this point!

Thank you!!
Attachments
IMG_913200.png
IMG_913200.png (69.89 KiB) Viewed 782 times

OutoftheBOTS

Re: Communicating with other sensors distributed to other spaces

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 pm

A common method is to use ESP8266 nodes as they cheap see https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-No ... autifyAB=0

You can then run a MQTT broker on your RPi and MQTT clients on the ESP8266s and communicate via wifi

Dominica0512

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:31 am

OutoftheBOTS wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 pm
A common method is to use ESP8266 nodes as they cheap see https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-No ... autifyAB=0

You can then run a MQTT broker on your RPi and MQTT clients on the ESP8266s and communicate via wifi

Thanks for replying to my post. I wonder multiple sensors with ESP8266 nodes could communicated with one RPi.

p1halani

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:46 am

Hello,

I am having a similar kind of project bt on large scale, so can't use wifi. So how can I send sensors data from nodemcu to rpi without internet and most importantly it's on large scale, you can assume the size to be of a farm.

scotty101

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:16 pm

p1halani wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:46 am
I am having a similar kind of project bt on large scale, so can't use wifi. So how can I send sensors data from nodemcu to rpi without internet and most importantly it's on large scale, you can assume the size to be of a farm.
A farm is the same size as a piece of string. Unspecified length anywhere from 0 to very large. How big a farm and how far away will the devices be from each other.
As the ESP8266/ESP32 devices are wifi devices, you can have wifi hot spots/repeaters to "boost" the range so that they can communicate to the central raspberry pi.
Not that for Wi-fi you don't need an internet connection.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

bensimmo

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 pm

For a Farm were WiFi is not really an option.
Have a look at LoRa and or LoRaWAN. (LongRange and LongRang WideAreaNetwork)
You may want to make it easier looking at heltec or TTGO devices with Lots built in to the development board. (It what they call the esp8266/ESP32 device on a board with bits and bobs on and gpio pins for you to attach to.)
Lora can travel over a great distance compared to WiFi not even getting the end of the patio never mind the bottom of the garden problems.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”