straggler1

Powering project question

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 pm

I am building a project consisting of a pi zero w, camera and TB6612 motor driver and two DC motors with 200-400 mA run and 1.5A hard stall. I have everything working as intended while having my pi connected to the wall and motor driver powered by AA batteries. However, the goal is obviously to make this mobile so I have been stuck on the issue on how to power the whole thing for a while now. Ideally I would love to power the whole thing with one battery like the adafruit 3.7v 6600mah battery and a T3608 voltage step up booster to get the voltage to 5v. Through researching this online I have come to find out that powering the pi and the motors with the same power source can generally cause issues. However the motor driver I am using the adafruit TB6612 has kick back diodes to protect against the inductive kick. Since I also plan on using the DC boost along with it providing me with a steady 5v I was hoping that I would indeed be able to use one battery to power the project. My question is do I still run into the same issues regardless of all this? Is powering this type of project with one battery simply not a good idea and I should stick to two separate power sources?

Thank you in advance!

Z80 Refugee

Re: Powering project question

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:26 pm

The supply variations caused by motors at the various conditions they can face are very difficult to accommodate when also trying to power sensitive (and power-hungry) electronics systems. Save yourself a lot of grief and use separate batteries.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

straggler1

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:58 am

Thanks for a straight forward answer. I am going to keep it simple and do as you suggested.

Moe

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Probably too big and heavy for your project but I tend to use 12V lead-acid batteries. Mainly 'cos I have some, but also 'cos they let me run 12V motors and it's dead easy to regulate down for the electronics.
Submarine communication systems engineer and amateur robot enthusiast.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”