RedDragon

Digital VoltMeter for beginners

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:21 am

I am looking for experienced programmermate to construct a digital voltmeter application.

The project is based on MSP430 microcontroller with Raspberry Pi. The microcontroller function as a low frequency 16bit+sign resolution 26V maximum input VoltMeter. It has an OLED 0.91" display for standalone measurements and a radio communication to Raspberry Pi for extendending its capabilities.

The project is for beginnersas a first task to assemble a kit and download software and have a Digital VoltMeter to work.

B.Goode

Re: Digital VoltMeter for beginners

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 am

RedDragon wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:21 am
I am looking for experienced programmermate [ ... ] The project is for beginners

Can you clarify?

Do you want a beginner or experience?

Is this a kit you have purchased and need help to put together?

Or is this a product you are hoping to develop and need skilled help to bring to market?

Idahowalker

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:21 pm

I use an Arduino Mega with my PiB. One of the functions is that the Arduino measures voltages into the A to D converter via a voltage divider. According the the math, I should be able to measure up to 50 volts. The raw reading from the A to D converter is sent to the RPi for process and displayed on a OLED.

When I compare the measurement taken and displayed by the Arduino/RPi to my DMM, the readings are equal.

The project is quite doable.
Without knowing why you are deleting my postings, I will not know how...

hippy

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Idahowalker wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:21 pm
The project is quite doable.
Using a micro or adding an ADC should allow a volt meter to be built round a Pi but I'm not so sure about achieving 16-bit plus sign resolution. Not sure that's even needed.

I would suggest that if the project is to have an OLED display it might be better to step it up from being just a volt meter to having some beginner level oscilloscope capabilities. That could make it a more appealing and useful project for beginners to undertake.

But it's not clear what "beginners" we are talking about here.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”