Mega524

Sending G-code to a TinyG v8

Tue May 29, 2018 4:58 pm

I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 model B with the 7" touch screen display to send G-code to a TinyG control system. I have no experience with Raspberry Pi's or Linux, so this is all new stuff to me! I need to send G-code files to a TinyG controller that runs a robotic seal maker, and I am having some trouble getting the G-code to send. The seal maker currently uses a windows PC running CoolTerm to send the G-code, but CoolTerm will not work on a Raspberry Pi due to its Arm architecture.

I have found this resource: http://www.forkrobotics.com/2013/07/usi ... -shapeoko/ which explains how to send G-code using Putty and Plink. I have installed both of those onto the Raspberry Pi, and I have verified that the Raspberry Pi is reading the TinyG via the 'lsusb' command. If I am understanding correctly, I don't need to install the FTDI drivers as they are already on the Raspberry Pi.

From the link posted above, it looks like I can use the command 'cat test.txt | plink -serial /dev/ttyUSB0 -sercfg 115200,8,n,1,X' , where test.txt is a text file of G-code on the Desktop. When I run this command, there is a 'no such directory or file' error. I'm sure it is something very easy, but I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Any help is appreciated!

MrGreg

Re: Sending G-code to a TinyG v8

Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 pm

You want to be in the same directory as the location of the file for the command to work.
I'm guessing you were in your home directory Eg "pi"
So..
cd into Desktop ( where your .txt file is) from console ( command line terminal)
...and try it again

Might find this helpful for useful commands to get started with cd and other commands

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ommands.md

Mega524

Re: Sending G-code to a TinyG v8

Wed May 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Thank you, I suspected it was something easy! Sending files works flawlessly now.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”