Antoinee

Raspberry pi as a IOT Gateway

Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 am

Hi everyone

I want to make my own IOT Gateway to get data from different PLC's brands, some signals (digital inputs) and then send it to the PC/SERVER

I was thinking of using a Raspberry Pi but I'm not really sure how is the best way to do it. A LAMP system (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Phyton) would be a good idea?

Thanks

B.Goode

Re: Raspberry pi as a IOT Gateway

Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

Why do you need the complexity of a web server if you only need to harvest the data from some sensors and pass it on to another server?

Maybe MQTT (trivially easy to implement on an RPi running Raspbian) would be worth investigating?

If you feel more comfortable with GUI/visual tools, NodeRed might provide an acceptable way of interfacing the external devices. It can cooperate in an mqtt scenario.

Antoinee

Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 am

B.Goode wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am
Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

Why do you need the complexity of a web server if you only need to harvest the data from some sensors and pass it on to another server?

Maybe MQTT (trivially easy to implement on an RPi running Raspbian) would be worth investigating?

If you feel more comfortable with GUI/visual tools, NodeRed might provide an acceptable way of interfacing the external devices. It can cooperate in an mqtt scenario.
Thanks for you quick answer.

I will check that MQTT but I don't need just harvest the data from some sensor. I need to get so much data from differents PLCS (TCP/IP) like counters, alarms.... and also some sensors. Besides I want to store that data (A small buffer in the Raspberry) just in case I lose communication don't lose the data. The data has to be send to the PC/server with Date/time and from what PLC they come from

ranpitime

Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi,
I would install the CODESYS plc on the Pi and harvest all these data from the other plc's.
Many protcols are possible to connect the plc's

Ethercat
Modbus
Profinet
Ethercat OPCUA
and many more
from my point of view this would be the easies way to realize this.
Here is the faq how to do install it and what is needed:
https://faq.codesys.com/display/CDSFAQ/Raspberry+-+FAQ
You cold just Play around with this and check if all plc's are possible to connect.

BR
ranpitime

Antoinee

Fri May 18, 2018 9:20 am

ranpitime wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 pm
Hi,
I would install the CODESYS plc on the Pi and harvest all these data from the other plc's.
Many protcols are possible to connect the plc's

Ethercat
Modbus
Profinet
Ethercat OPCUA
and many more
from my point of view this would be the easies way to realize this.
Here is the faq how to do install it and what is needed:
https://faq.codesys.com/display/CDSFAQ/Raspberry+-+FAQ
You cold just Play around with this and check if all plc's are possible to connect.

BR
ranpitime
That seems like a good idea, thank you

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”