PhatFil

private network hosted by Pi for home automation system

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:23 pm

ive been collecting bits n bobs that can be networked and used in a home automation system for a while and have always had in the back of my mind to host a private network/subnet to collect all these devices in one manageable group.

however now the collection is growing close to useful and im starting to play with node red i tried to google for help in network set up and found it somewhat sparse.

the population of automation and repurposed iot devices has the scope to grow, and i dont fancy having them all cluttering up the web connected wifi, nor would i relsih the need to reboot the web router as often as it would need with some device addition.

However the lack of similar projects out there to get guidance (copy) from suggests i could be barking up the wrong tree here??

prairietech

Re: private network hosted by Pi for home automation system

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:25 am

I'm running NR and a bunch of Wemos d1 minis and Adafruit Feathers on my existing home 2.4 GHz wifi router. No problems or issues after several weeks of use. I'm running dd-wrt on the wifi router which in my opinion is a must even if your not doing any home automation. Before running dd-wrt, I was rebooting my wifi router sometimes twice a week. Now the same router with dd-wrt runs without fail.

My desire is to move everything off the house wifi we use for laptops and tablets and onto another access point on a different channel.

If your not doing wifi but hardwire, you can do the same thing by adding another router to keep the home automation devices isolated on their own network.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”