flatmax

New DIY battery protector + power board idea : feedback request

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:12 pm

What do you think of this power board ?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/125 ... n=b0411944

We are trying to redesign and take feedback - it packs a lot of functionality.

Matt
Check the Ultra 2 sound card - use our shop instead of Amazon Europe (Amazon USA is live).
Sound card for the Raspberry Pi with inbuilt microphone : www.audioinjector.net
Audio Inector Octo multitrack GPIO sound card

KanoMaster22

Re: New DIY battery protector + power board idea : feedback request

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Great features and value but it looks a bit messy because there are so much stuff jammed onto a small board.

scotty101

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:24 pm

From your description on kickstarter, it is not clear what the product does and how it works.

Perhaps some examples would help.

Also given the position of the Raspberry Pi 40 pin connector, It looks like it would be difficult to connect to a Pi... Is it supposed to be connected by a ribbon cable or a header on the underside?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Moe

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:32 pm

Hmm. Thing is, with these add-ons that try to do everything, I find there is always at least one thing that doesn't meet the requirement. For example, my robot runs off a 12V SLA, with 12V-5V buck module, 4-channel relay board to switch power to motors and stuff, and uses a resistor divider to check battery state via GPIO. So [*]in theory[*] this board should be ideal. But:

• 2.1A is enough for the Pi but not much else, so I'd still need separate supply for the motors & servos.
  • As far as I can see, it doesn't provide any feedback to the Pi, which is a big problem. It''s no use for soft shutdowns or applications that need to manage power in software, or check battery voltage when the load is at a known state.
  • The 3.3V supply is just the Pi's 3.3V supply, so what's the board adding?
  • The measurement range of 9-12.5V in "roughly" 0.5V increments seems too vague. For a lead-acid battery, the difference between healthy and almost dead is less than 1V.
  • If it's simply measuring voltage, then how does it cope with variations in load caused by those 10A relays switching 10A loads? Presumably the dip would simply shut everythng off and kill the Pi, even though there might be hours worth of Pi power left?

More words might help to allievate some of these concerns, but it seems a little bit too geared towards a specific application.
Submarine communication systems engineer and amateur robot enthusiast.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”