YeeP

Use Pi to drive large electric motor...

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:48 pm

The end result I would like to have, is a VPN connection to my Rasberry pi (through forward ports on my router and wireless connection) that I can connect to from the web. I dont imagine that to be very difficult as I have it on my other linux box at home. However, from that connection, I would like to be able to drive a large electric motor (solenoid going to be required) in either direction at will.

This is a silly project, but my wife always works so hard on her garden, and in the spring we get some really heavy hail storms in the afternoon. Neither of us can get home in time to set something up to protect them.

I am going to fabricate a steel chassis that can house a rolled up "cover" for the garden. From work, I can then connect to my rasberry pi, and put the cover over the garden. :D

YeeP

Re: Use Pi to drive large electric motor...

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 pm

After posting this, I didn't realize it had to be OKed by a moderator. I forgot to say the actual purpose of the post. Can I get any suggestions on the process of controlling the electric motor? Gertboard? something else??? Programs that may help?

Thanks.

Frank B

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 pm

YeeP wrote:After posting this, I didn't realize it had to be OKed by a moderator. I forgot to say the actual purpose of the post. Can I get any suggestions on the process of controlling the electric motor? Gertboard? something else??? Programs that may help?

Thanks.
You could use a thing like this:
http://www.amazon.de/mumbi-Funksteckdos ... B002UJKW7K

All you have to do is to connect a gpio with a transistor wich is connected to one of the buttons of the remote-control.
The rest (software) should be doable with a shellscript.

YeeP

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 am

Thank you for that link. My problem is I cannot collect information off of the part to look for it in English. Could you give me an idea as to what I should search for?

By the pictures, I would guess that is some sort of remote controlled power unit. If so, how would I control the direction the motor rotates, as opposed to just turning it on and off?

eyebee

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:43 am

There are a bunch of people playing around with controlling the Pi's GPIO pins over the web:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Web-Con ... y-Pi-GPIO/
http://trouch.com/2012/08/21/webiopi-co ... a-browser/
https://github.com/nneves/Raspberrypi_G ... /README.md

And yes, to control a motor you will want some kind of external board. Could be a Gertboard but there are other options in various stages of development http://elinux.org/RPi_Expansion_Boards

Dilligaf

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:48 am

Sounds like you want a garage door opener

poing

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:00 pm

I would be a bit cautious with operating (DIY) heavy structures remotely. I'm sure there are local regulations and if anything happens you could be in trouble. Not to speak of the chance that some neighbor wanders into your garden when the contraption comes down, which would mean a shattered life, or a burglar is squashed to pieces, which would mean, where I live at least, a loooong time in prison.

As an example, the football (some s*ckers call it soccer :mrgreen: ) match between England and Poland was postponed a few days ago because of rain. The stadium did have a roof, but they were not allowed to close it any more because the time before the match would start was too short (possibly already public in or around the stadium).

YeeP

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:26 pm

This will be similar to a garage door opener, except I am going to operate it via cable system. The cover itself is going to be flexible plastic, so I am not to worried about it hurting anyone. Also, if a burglar comes on my property, they have more to worry about than a garden cover. I will continue to research this, but I appreciate all of the input.

eyebee: thanks for all the links!

Mezo

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:45 am

What Dilligaf said, garage door opener is the quickest & easiest way (and safest)

On the unit itself there are two low voltage terminal screws to allow you to wire a push button rather than using the remote, all you would need to get the board to do is operate a closed LV circuit, simple.

One press gets it closing, press again & it reverses the motor for you, you don`t even have to get involved with the mains side of things (230v) which you shouldn't be touching anyhow.

You could even have a camera to ensure you squash said intruder. :lol:

PM me if you have any questions, i am an English, New Zealand & Australian (qualified/licensed) electrician & professional nerd. :mrgreen:

Mezo.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”