LM317

Autonomous Robot GPS following Android

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Hey everyone got a pretty complicated project im working on

i have a Raspberry pi 3 and im working on building an autonomous robot that can drive around.
im not doing an obstical avoiding im wanting it to follow a specific path set. the path could change for different reason and senarioes. so i was thinking i could set up a specific GPS path but i dont have senors so i would like to use my Android phone i know you can set up your phone with your pi and use its senors since its Android. i want it to be able to drive around my yard and etc i have robot that can drive around the yard. i can use the Python :idea: or MATLAB & SIMULINK to program it.

im asking how to go about making the robot,
setting it up to work on my phone
and programming it(how to program it to work with my phone etc.)
{please reply with detail }
guides and how tos are very welcome thank you!

LM317 :)

topguy

Re: Autonomous Robot GPS following Android

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Your question is too broad, very few people will be able to come up with full tutorials on how to build a robot. You need to plan and divide your task into smaller problems that its easier to help with.

You really should look trough old issues of MagPi https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/ which has many articles on building robots. ( issue 51 and 38 for example )

A quick google search gave me this link regarding one way to send data from Android Phone to a Pi: http://www.instructables.com/id/PiDroidGPSTracker/

B.Goode

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Have you done any research into whether the accuracy of 'consumer' GPS equipment is sufficient to navigate your path with sufficient precision?

LM317

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 pm

hey, thanks everyone.
yes i have i will be trying to use a phone gps or something along that line, what is your view on this? thanks

scotty101

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 am

Putting the inaccuracy of GPS aside for the moment, have you considered how you write the code to navigate from your current location to the next waypoint on your route?
Projects like this are certainly possible but I wouldn't underestimate the complexity of this.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

darkbibble

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 am

the basics
step 1) choose robot chassis
step 2) choose motor driver
step 3) configure current parts for remote control (write small python program)
step 4) interface phone/gps unit
step 5) write python program to control chassis using gps

how i would personally do it
step 1) choose chassis
step 2) choose motor driver
step 3) get ultrasonic sensor
step 4) configure parts for remote control and obstacle avoidance with a python program ( this is neccissary for the ability to go around obsticles that could appear in the way)
step 5) interface phone/gps unit
step 6) write python program to control chassis using gps and ultrasonics

I hope this helps a bit
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

ScoobySnacks

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:21 pm

This is very much along the lines of what I have planned, but as a mower for my lawn.

I have my chassis sorted (an old ride on lawnmower with a deceased engine). I am planning to strip everything above the chassis off, and run the wheels and the mowing blade from separate motors. I'm planning on using the existing steering mechanism with a stepper motor to provide accurate front wheel steering rather than castoring or skid steer.

Has anyone looked in to something like this? What sort of motors are people using (and where is a good source of them?)

This is to be achieved on a very tight budget (I'm hoping to significantly undercut {excuse the pun} the cost of one of the commercial automatic mowers) so I'm considering using something like a couple of starter motors from the local scrappy for drive, but I'm not sure how good they are in reverse, or what sort of speeds they run at (I'm trying to avoid gearing wherever possible).

Next step is to strip off the engine etc. and see what I'm working with.

bensimmo

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:00 pm

You could run gpiozero and pigpio on the Pi and then use that with Python to control the gpio on the RaspberryPi over a WiFI connection (or if lucky and you phone allows it, over a usb connection).

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”