underwhelmd

Controlling wireless power outlet

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 am

I bought a few of those cheap 433mhz transmitters/receivers for controlling wireless power outlets (etekcity).

Following some instructions posted elsewhere, I got it working fairly quickly. It didn't sniff the signal from the remote at first but did work after "export WIRINGPI_GPIOMEM=1".

I'm hoping to combine this with a PIR sensor to turn a light on, on movement, wirelessly. So far so good. This was fun to make work.

underwhelmd

Re: Controlling wireless power outlet

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:31 pm

A couple observations:

Antenna length/design is important if you want any range. The straight wire whip cut to 1/4 wave length was ~ok~. A coil loaded antenna works much better. http://www.instructables.com/id/433-MHz ... d-antenna/ I've got it turning on/off the socket from the other end of my house, through walls, no problem. No fails.

I used a Pi3 (5v 2.5a power supply) as a build platform then when it was finished, transferred the works and the SD card to a Zero W in a weatherproof box. So I was trying to run the Zero W, a v2 camera, a ds18b20 temp sensor, and the 433mhz transmitter at 5v2a (well, it's a chinese made power adapter so 2a might have been generous) it would not mount a USB flash drive at boot. And I was seeing less range from the transmitter.
I swapped out the power supply for a Canakit 5v 2.5a power supply and all is well again. I left the USB flash drive out because it was a luxury and not really needed...32gb SD card will do fine. Range of the transmitter is back to normal.

edit: not going to bother with the PIR sensor either. I botched together some code that will turn the socket on when the camera starts recording, and shut it off several minutes later.

power hungry little monster though.

underwhelmd

Re: Controlling wireless power outlet

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:01 pm

This device is outside now. (Pi Zero W, v2 noir camera, ds18b20, and a 433mhz transmitter) It's running Raspbian Stretch on a 32Gb SD card. Pikrellcam is the software that controls the camera. I used instructions from here https://www.samkear.com/hardware/contro ... spberry-pi to set up the 433mhz transmitter. The receiver is not needed after you get the codes from the etekcity remote.

There are a couple IR led lights in the field of view-

Camera sees this at night-

To the human eye, it's near pitch dark. When my better half takes the dogs out first thing, I'd like the yard to be lit up with visible light for a few minutes, automatically. Yes, I could buy a motion sensing light but what fun would that be? The Pi was there anyway. Pikrellcam has "on_motion_begin" ability in it's .conf to run a script when it starts recording. It's set to run a very simple bash script that turns on a visible light (light is in the back window, plug is inside the house) and then shuts it off again in 5 minutes.

more /home/pi/pikrellcam/scripts/light.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

/home/pi/www/rfoutlet/codesend 4474269
sleep 300
/home/pi/www/rfoutlet/codesend 4474278
It is reliable. Range is impressive for something so cheap....Device is outside, outlet is inside...signal has to pass through several walls.
I purposely set it off a number of times while the script was "sleeping" from an initial run to see if there would be multiple instances running and there are not. It shuts off after 5 minutes, no matter how many times the camera begins recording since the initial run.

I am thankful for the folks who did the work with rfoutlet and wiringpi that made it easy and fun to put this together.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”