Cryptocy

IoT best gui interface option

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:47 am

Hello everyone :), am currently new to the raspberry pi community and i want your help. So am doing my thesis project using raspberry pi and my goal is to create home automation stuff (light ON/OFF sensors, view camera's remotely indoor/outdoor, temperature meters and so on). So my questions are if you guys are kind enough to just enlighten me with the basic steps i have to start with. I also want to create an interface (either using it on mobile or on the system) to monitor and use each part that is connected to the Pi (imagine this will be what the user sees). So to sum things up my basic questions are what is better i use to create a gui (Python or HTML/PHP....)?? Also how do i connect the gui to interact with the actual system do i need a server/client side? Also i also have at my disposal an arduino, is it more efficient to use it as well? or i can work only with the Pi. Thank you guys please let me know :)

rpdom

Re: IoT best gui interface option

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:58 am

You don't need to post the same questions twice. In fact it is against the forum rules.

I hope someone can answer your question though. I don't use a GUI on any of my Raspis :)

ghans

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:05 am

Which programming languages do you know ? Have a look at this anyway :

https://github.com/dddomodossola/remi

No need to learn JavaScript or HTML , just Python. A dedicated webserver is also not needed.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Cryptocy

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks for replying, i will have a look :) am familiar with HTML as well, also my bad for posting it a 2nd time.

robert.savulescu

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:32 am

Hi ,
You can take a look here : https://doc.embedded-wizard.de/getting- ... ypi?v=8.10
I have atached a quick sample that was doing without any codding (just setting properties of objects) .Slide and buttons are moving and the gauges are setting from slides .
Obviously you need coding for interfacing with hardware .
This interface will run without starting x-server (headless) because it include GTK Open GL . Is very fast and light .
2017-10-03.png
2017-10-03.png (114.1 KiB) Viewed 6114 times

Hoagie

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:29 pm

For things like this, I prefer a HTML interface. Mainly because you effectively get a mobile app for free.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”