jb63

Motion Activated Camera - Kids ringing bells in the neighborhood

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:37 am

I've been wanting to do a motion-activated camera recorder for sometime now, I even have the required hardware.
Recently however, there are some kids who've been going around and ringing bells at sometimes very tardy hours (10:30 pm).
Yes, I can get a Nest Camera but thought it might be more fun to build the whole thing based on an RPI.

So, I have all the hardware (RPI 3, case, PIR sensor, camera) and now need the software/libraries. I did a search on google but most projects I came across were a bit dated. ANyone with first hand experience and more recent implementations?

The other thing I was thinking is hook up a loud speaker to the bell ring and ... blast some &^%$# at them, and tell them the police does now have their pictures.

OutoftheBOTS

Re: Motion Activated Camera - Kids ringing bells in the neighborhood

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:18 am

Ha Ha Ha cool.

If you want to take pics at night you may want the NOIR version (night vision)of the Picam and if you want really good pics then you may also want some IR lights.

The easist way that I have discovered to use a speaker to play sound is by using a blue tooth speaker as the bluetooth speaker have the needed amp in the speaker to drive it. To connect the bluetooth speaker it is easliy done by the GUI in the OS just ckick on the bluetooth symbol at top right of screen and pair, once paired then right click the volume control and choose the b;lue tooth speaker. To get the speaker to play a MP3 from python I used the standard PyGame libairy google "raspberry pi play mp3 in python"

The PIR works as a switch that turns on when it see change in IR light (body heat). So you need to wire the PIR to a GPIO pin to detect when it is activated.

Then write a program that anytime the PIR GPIO pin is high it plays the MP3 file and starts to record for say 20 secs then just loops back around and starts again.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Motion Activated Camera - Kids ringing bells in the neighborhood

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:30 am

Have a look at motioneyeos https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/wiki
If I'm right from my mind it allows you to run a script (i.e. to play sound file) when motion is detected.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”