P4d0uch

Project: Doorbell

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi guys and girls, I have been working on my little project. I want to make doorbell from my raspberry and i want to have these function: on button push or motion light up some leds and play audio inside my house and turn off the led. then take a picture or video(live video is my dream) from webcam and send it to my ftp. After the upload is done ring again.

So far i have got this working: button push light up the led and play sound using aplay. then the webcam take a picture with date like name. this photo is upload to my ftp.

So far so good but my problem is audio.
I dont want to use normal speakers. i thought that i will use someting like PC speaker which is connected to motherboard. I have one of these in my house. but when i connect the speaker to Raspberry nothing happened. I tried 3 and 5 Volts and nothing happened.

Does anyone now how the speaker works or how to get live video from my webcam?
And maybe something to tune up?

Thanks for any answer and sorry for my bad english :oops:

P4d0uch

Re: Project: Doorbell

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 am

I just ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/3W-2-Mini-Digit ... 46060c3df6 it should solve my audio problem.

morphy_richards

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:56 am

This post is worrying me. It sounds like you are trying to connect a big speaker to your raspberry pi 3v3 and 5v supply. Not a very good idea because these speakers will try to draw more current than your little computer can supply and will damage it.
If you want to use a speaker with the GPIO pins you need something much smaller like a piezoelectric speaker.
Furthermore, apologies if I sound sarcastic but it also sounds like you expect to just supply power to the speaker and have it play Jingle Bells. It won't and no amount of audio amplifiers from eBay will make a difference. (Or perhaps you just need an electric buzzer? That will make a noise when you supply it with power)
If you want to use a speaker can I suggest you start by searching the internet for something like "what are sound waves" and then "how do loudspeakers make sound waves" before you try to do anything or buy anything else.

P4d0uch

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 am

my plan wat to connect the amp to usb hub and 3.5 jack.

tedhale

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:06 pm

So you do plan on using the 3.5mm audio plug.
Why bother with the amplifier chip? Is it because you want to power the amp from the RasPi?

I cheap set of *powered* PC speakers and you should be good to go.
- Ted B. Hale
http://raspberrypihobbyist.blogspot.com

P4d0uch

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:27 pm

because i want to have less cables. And it should be hidden in wall.

fillrobs

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:29 pm

P4d0uch wrote:Hi guys and girls, I have been working on my little project. I want to make doorbell from my raspberry and i want to have these function: on button push or motion light up some leds and play audio inside my house and turn off the led. then take a picture or video(live video is my dream) from webcam and send it to my ftp. After the upload is done ring again.

So far i have got this working: button push light up the led and play sound using aplay. then the webcam take a picture with date like name. this photo is upload to my ftp.

So far so good but my problem is audio.
I dont want to use normal speakers. i thought that i will use someting like PC speaker which is connected to motherboard. I have one of these in my house. but when i connect the speaker to Raspberry nothing happened. I tried 3 and 5 Volts and nothing happened.

Does anyone now how the speaker works or how to get live video from my webcam?
And maybe something to tune up?

Thanks for any answer and sorry for my bad english :oops:

I'm a programmer of sorts - but would be great if you could give me an idea of how to start with this project? How do you connect the push button to the Raspberry? What language are you using to write it? Do you have a code example of detecting the push button? Be great to hear from you...

Regards

Phil

blljybobbyw22

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Hey i would love to do this project is their any instructions

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”