ryangd

Using existing home ventilation system as basis total system

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 am

I recently bought a home ventilation system. It is relatively comprehensive system with temperature and humidity sensors in bedroom, lounge, roof space and outside. It can switch between sources to make it a positive pressure system or heat transfer depending on what the hottest/driest source is.
The problem is that the operating system is atrocious.
If I find out what exactly all the hardware components are would it be possible to install some sort of pi controlled system utilising all the existing hardware, ideally with the view to be able to add heaters to the system too.
I'm sure there must be some good pi options out there but not really sure where to start.

tech-mech

Re: Using existing home ventilation system as basis total sy

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:01 am

More info on what you have now would help. Do you know exactly what sensors it has now? How is it controlled now? A Pi would have no problem controlling the system but are you up to doing the programming and interfacing? Have you ever tried to control any line voltage with a micro computer or micro controller before? It is not recommended for beginners as it can be very dangerous and also can be a fire hazard.

Dale

ryangd

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:10 am

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply.

The system is called Smartvent, the connected "app" part of it is called Evolve.
Not sure what the components are, but it would be easy to find out I think.
I'm definitely not up to the programming side of things, was really hoping there was an existing programme that could be shoe horned into place.
I've used relays and pis to control high voltage lines before so I'm confident enough I will be ok.
Ryan

tech-mech

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:27 pm

I think I might be in the same boat as you as I feel much more confident with the physical side of projects.

I would start by trying to figure out the apps communication and the control board. There might be some programs out there but in what language. I do know that there has been projects of 'smart' homes that could be a start. As long as you don't mess up the controller you have now experiment.

You are only a failure if you don't learn.

Dale

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”