jihzed

My card for embedded project in car.

Thu May 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Hello World

I've just finished the first part of my project. I've posted it several months ago, I'm going to monitor a 70's car (renault estafette). For that, I want to make a computer based on Raspberry Pi

It needs :
- a DC/DC power input 9 to 28 V ; output 5 V 1A
- input protection fuse and transil
- a 12 V 5A power switch controlled by a microswitch or the key +12 after contact in a car, and the rapsberry maintains it in power on. When raspberry turns off (« poweroff » command) so the switch is opened after some seconds. It’s controlled by the TXD signal of the UART (The default state is « 1 » when the Pi is running. It’s possible to use the GPIO-40 pin). The power off occurs when the +12V key is turned off AND the raspberry is switched off.
- switched power for other cards (5V or 12V), like the screen
- RTC (real time clock) based on DS3132.
- Communication by a CAN bus with a MPC2515
- a buzzer to make alarm controlled by the GPIO-38 pin.

As far as I found nothing in commerce, I made my own card.
Here are some photos of my electronic card :
Image Image

Image Image

ImageImage Image

I’ve made 10 PCB, so I can sell some units (the price for 1 or 10 is almost the same…)

It’s not totally finished, but it’s possible to see some photo in the car here : (french langage, but some photos of prototype)
http://jumpifnotzero.free.fr/?estafette ... /index.php

In fact, I don’t understand how this project can be realized without this card. This functions are unavoidable to make a embedded automotive computer with a raspberry.

I can send some prototypes cards. The price is about 50€ (the cost of components + PCB)

rpiMike

Re: My card for embedded project in car.

Thu May 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Impressive work :)

klricks

Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 pm

jihzed wrote:....... a DC/DC power input 9 to 28 V ; output 5 V 1A.........
1A may not be enough power depending on what is attached to the RPi.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

jihzed

Fri May 26, 2017 6:30 am

klricks wrote:1A may not be enough power depending on what is attached to the RPi.
It's OK for the PI 2B+ and the 7" sccreen. There is a 100µF capacitor. A smartphone charger is an 1A power supply, and many configuration run with smartphone charger…

jihzed

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Hello.
I will make the next version of this board.
There are some boards in the 1st version in some cars, boats,...
Mine is running perfectly about 18 months.

The change for next release will be :
- a higher current. 1A is OK for the Pi2B+, but now the Pi3B+ is more guzzler. the new current output is 2A
- I changed the supercapacitor for a 2032 battery. It's possible to place a rechargeable battery, there is a simple charge circuit for 3V cell NiMh or NiCd.
- It's now possible to start automaticaly at a defined time with the DS3231. The power on the 12V source is under 1µA when the RPI is power off.
- the input/output connectors are been moved to optimize the mounting on a audiphonic SmartiPi Touch

Other characteristics are the same :
This board is designed to place a RPI in ambedded project, like a car or in remote place without power source, without network.
- an RTC based on the DS3231
- a CAN BUS network MCP2515
- a hardened power supply 8-26V to 5V, 2A
- a power on / power off management. It's possible to start with the key of the car (for example) and the power supply will don't turn off when you power off the car : the power supply will turn off when the RPI is off.
- a controlled 12V out for accessories.
- the connectors are strong Phoenix with square emplacement for wire.
- a buzzer

I will start several boards because the price is same for 1 or 5 boards. If someone is interested, just contact me. I don't earn money, the price is about 50€.
my facebook : https://www.facebook.com/OrdiVoiture/ (in french)

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”