Stp89

Fan and led strip control

Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:00 am

Hi, really new to this so pleas bear with me,

but I'm thinking about to build a media/studio cabinet which wil contain a lot of gear creating a lot of heat and I primarily thinking about making a 4-6 12v fan exhaust system self controlled with temp sensors, powered by a pi. And maybe add one ore two short 5v RGB led strips to control both independently and automatically according to to the temperature in the cabinet.

Is this possible with just one pi and what hardware would I eventually need between the pi and the lights and fans?

peterlite

Re: Fan and led strip control

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:34 am

Google Raspberry Pi ATX power. You will find discussions where people reuse an old ATX power supply to get 12 volts for the fans plus 5 volts for the Pi. They then use PWM to control PWM fans, giving you less noise when everything is not so hot. You could also google Raspberry Pi PWM for thoughts on PWM control.

dmagill4

Re: Fan and led strip control

Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Op,

it has been a while -- any update on your project? I have done a lot of things with Arduino's and they have 6 PWM pins that work well for controlling individual items (LEDs, fans, etc.) It seems the PI only has a single PWM pin that is hardware controlled (so CPU is not tied up maintaining the clock on the pin). If you look at Adafruit they make a bunch of I2C controlled PWM boards from 8 channels to 24 and they daisy chain as needed to give even more options. The items are inexpensive at $10-18 each and would work well for your project.

Good luck if you are not complete -- please add photos as you make progress..

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”