simonpb1

Jennet-IP Border Router

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:54 am

I am looking at using the pi as a border router for a jennet-ip based home automation system.
The system is essentially a 6lowpan network enables low power wireless devices to be integrated into the lan/wan

jennic do have a border router which is a modified linksys wireless router running openwrt.

My plan is to
1. get openwrt and 6lowpan runnning on the pi
2. use a jennic dongle to bridge to the wpan(wireless PAN)
3. put a small webserver, database on the pi
4. build a web based control system(lamp server on pi) to control my home.

simonpb1

Re: Jennet-IP Border Router

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am

If anyone else out there want's to share some ideas please post your ideas

simonpb1

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi
I have the wheezy os installed on my pi and intend to use the pi as an edge router for a 6LoWPAN network. If you are wondering what 6LoWPAN is it stands for IPV6 over Low power Wireless Personal Area Network.
Basically it enables low power wireless devices to communicate over the ipv6 network essentially enabling very low power devices such as home automation devices to communicate over the internet.

The edge router sits and listens for incoming ipv6 packets that are intended for the WPAN. The problem with the WPAN is it cannot directly receive IPV6 Packets as the packet size on a WPAN is much smaller than that of IPV6. The edge router basically compresses packets that are intended for its WPAN and then forwards them on to the low powered device.

Excuse me if this is wrong but that is my understanding of 6LoWPAN..

Anyway I have a USB stick that is part of the WPAN and acts as a bridge between the LAN and the WPAN. It is in fact a jennic jn5148 running jennet-ip stack.
I have created a network interface to this device using tun/tap. There is a daemon running which connects to the usb device and handles the 6lowpan compression etc.

I have set up ipv6 addresses and routes but I am not sure how to bridge the ethernet and this tun/tap interface together.

If anyone knows anything about this sort of thing I would be interested to share some ideas with you.

Lillo

Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi, I'd be interested to this project.
One of the main issue normally concerns the integration into the embedded systems (linux embedded like OpenWRT): hw modules and firmware.
As far as can see, some people implemented a similar solution using OpenWRT embedded OS (it was my idea also). Have you already integrated the 6lowpan module?
You're probably more expert than me on this field, it'd be nice to discuss with you about this project.

DangerMouse64

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi, Did you get anywhere with sorting out the IPv6 addressing for the jennet-ip network?

simonpb1

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi
I have a working system now. Using a mysql database for authentication and scheduling of events to operate the wpan. Just need to working on some grouping functions but it's coming along nicely.

olivier88

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Hello Simon,
I've joined the raspberry's forum today.
I am also interested in your project, an ip border router using a Jn5148. I've got the same configuration on my pi (wheezy, and lamp server).
I am trying now to find out a dongle with JN5148 chip. When looking on internet, it is possible to see a few of them, but all from taiwan or china with extremely long delivery time. Can you give an idea of your own material, and where it is possible to order ?

I would be also interested about informations (technical details, links, etc...) and steps to manage your zigbee usb stick (with JN5148 chip) on the raspberry pi.

It's possible to get some informations about the subject on nxp forum, but not very detailed.
Can you explain some of your investigations ?

Thanks a lot.

michas

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Simon

Regarding your working system where RaspBerry PI plays the role of Jennet-IP border router
... is there a possibility to have some more informations ?

awneil

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:06 pm

I would also be interested to hear the outcome of all this.

There's a number of threads on a number of forums, and this blog http://www.raspberry-pie.co.uk/ - all mentioning this start to the project, but it all seems to go quiet without a conclusion...

Andy.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”