duster2104

Reading Vaccum

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 am

Hi there, new to the Raspberry Pi World!

My Family runs a Maple Business in Upstate NY and i am looking to experiment with getting something that can read constant Vacuum Pressure from our Vacuum Pump. The pump doesnt have any type of readout on it so we have to rely upon manual gauges or even a digital style to display the current vacuum levels in our lines.

Looking for input on what i might need to get a Pi to program and display the current, real-time vacuum levels on a monitor so we can see them without having to go look at the gauge all the time (it is i a different building).

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

bitbank

Re: Reading Vaccum

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:44 pm

It doesn't look like there are readily available sensors that could be easily installed to get a digital reading of the pressure. What about pointing a camera at the pressure guage so that it can be read remotely?
The fastest code is none at all :)

duster2104

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:13 pm

We have thought about that as well but with the location being in a building, not insulated so very cold im worried about the operating temps being too low. Might be something worth looking into to try at least for now. Also it would only be able to be used locally as the internet service where we are is very poor (satellite) so it uses too much bandwidth to be seen remotely over the internet. Was hoping that a pi might be able to do a small data signal that we could get on a monitor in the saphouse and possibly see remotely as well without using too much bandwidth.

aTao

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:56 pm

What you need is a differential or absolute pressure sensor. There are plenty with analog outputs and there are references to ones with digital outputs.
>)))'><'(((<

EULERPI

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi,

There are various vacuum gauges (with electrical outputs) for measuring vacuum pressures. Some are better at covering a certain ranges of pressures than others. Most have disadvantages that must be taken into account when adding them to a design.

Penning and Pirani gauges come to mind as vacuum gauges with electrical internals.

If you find a gauge with a safe electrical analogue output you may be able to feed the output into a Pi compatible Analogue to Digital converter.

Just for completeness there may be a commercial solution to reading a vacuum remotely but I guess that will be more expensive, might involve you in a lot of learning about production equipment and not be as much fun.

Regards

Nick

duster2104

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:08 am

EULERPI wrote:Hi,

There are various vacuum gauges (with electrical outputs) for measuring vacuum pressures. Some are better at covering a certain ranges of pressures than others. Most have disadvantages that must be taken into account when adding them to a design.

Penning and Pirani gauges come to mind as vacuum gauges with electrical internals.

If you find a gauge with a safe electrical analogue output you may be able to feed the output into a Pi compatible Analogue to Digital converter.

Just for completeness there may be a commercial solution to reading a vacuum remotely but I guess that will be more expensive, might involve you in a lot of learning about production equipment and not be as much fun.

Regards

Nick
Yes, there are systems that will do this specifically for the Maple Industry but ordering them and getting them is a year out so i was trying to build something temporary use this season. They have something that will detect vacuum in them already do i know there is something out there but i dont know exactly what they use

aTao

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:44 am

aTao wrote:What you need is a differential or absolute pressure sensor. There are plenty with analog outputs and there are references to ones with digital outputs.
And here is a datasheet for analog or digital output gage or differential sensors.
https://sensing.honeywell.com/honeywell ... 8-c-en.pdf
>)))'><'(((<

BlackRockConcepts

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:14 pm

I am actually working on a Device similar to the one CDL sells. I just finished an installation here in Northern Vermont at a Sugarbush with Approx 32,000 taps and 4 RO trailers. We are using Cameras right now and also Sat internet and a V Tel 4G / LTE service at a few trailers as well. I would be happy to discuss what I have done to monitor systems and also what I am working on for (hopefully) next year's sap run........ blackrockconcepts@gmail.com Happy to help . Erik

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”