elsmandino

Beginner advice on home automation

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi,

I am really interested in experimenting with a bit of home automation with RPi and Arduino and would be really grateful for any beginner advice.

In particular, what OS should I use? There seem to be loads of options.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

DougieLawson

Re: Beginner advice on home automation

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 pm

If you have to ask "What OS?" for your Raspberry then the answer is always Raspbian Jessie.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

intrahouse

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:53 pm

If the question is about automation system software, try http://www.intrahouse.eu

B.Goode

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Using the search facility on the Raspberry Pi Foundation's website https://www.raspberrypi.org for "Home Automation" throws up a number of blog articles that might be of interest.

peterlite

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Raspbian has the LXDE user interface. I use Linux Mint 18 with Cinnamon everywhere else. Both are based on Debian Jessie, as is Ubuntu. When I have a question about Raspbian and the answer is not in the Raspbian documentation/forums, it is often in Linux Mint or Ubuntu documentation/forum. Raspbian beats the other Pi compatible operating systems on almost every count.

elsmandino

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Whoops - sorry, I did not mean to refer to which OS to use (though thank you for clarifying that Raspbian clearly is the obvious choice).

What I meant to ask is what actual home automation software is recommended.

Thanks

peterlite

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Do you have a Wifi network? Will you control your airconditioner? https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/tag/home-automation/ could be a good starting point. One article covers OpenHAB.

mattmiller

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:07 pm

Give us a simple example of one of the things you'd like some sort of control over - something you really want not something plucked out of the air :)

fruit-uk

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:32 pm

elsmandino wrote:What I meant to ask is what actual home automation software is recommended.
http://fhem.de :)

elsmandino

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:55 pm

mattmiller wrote:Give us a simple example of one of the things you'd like some sort of control over - something you really want not something plucked out of the air :)
That is a very sensible thing to suggest.;

A few things I have been thinking about:

1. Lights

Certain light come on automatically when it gets to a certain darkness level in my home.

Lights to randomly turn off and on when I am not there (for security reasons).

Ability to turn off all lights at the same time when I am going to bed.

Ability to switch on individual lights (in the middle of the night) when I nipping to the toilet/fridge etc.

2. Rain Sensor

Send me a text when it starts raining in the garden, so i can quickly get the washing in.

3. Automatic Blinds,

Shut when the light falls to a certain point

4. Smoke Detector

Send me a text if any smoke is detected in the house.

5. Door Sensors

Phone to alert me if I reach a certain distance from the house and any doors/windows are open.

Alert me if any doors/windows are opened once I have gone to bed.

6. Motion activated camera in the hallway, which will not only upload the footage to the could but will e-mail to tell me there has been some movement.

I know that this is very ambitious at the moment, but these are some things I would like to work on in the future.

The suggestion for FHEM looks great and I know that OPENHab is mentioned a lot too (though it looks pretty complicated). I note that something like PiDome is specifically for the Pi, so is the better choice?

Thanks.

klide

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:43 am

elsmandino wrote:
mattmiller wrote:Give us a simple example of one of the things you'd like some sort of control over - something you really want not something plucked out of the air :)
That is a very sensible thing to suggest.;

A few things I have been thinking about:

1. Lights

Certain light come on automatically when it gets to a certain darkness level in my home.

Lights to randomly turn off and on when I am not there (for security reasons).

Ability to turn off all lights at the same time when I am going to bed.

Ability to switch on individual lights (in the middle of the night) when I nipping to the toilet/fridge etc.

2. Rain Sensor

Send me a text when it starts raining in the garden, so i can quickly get the washing in.

3. Automatic Blinds,

Shut when the light falls to a certain point

4. Smoke Detector

Send me a text if any smoke is detected in the house.

5. Door Sensors

Phone to alert me if I reach a certain distance from the house and any doors/windows are open.

Alert me if any doors/windows are opened once I have gone to bed.

6. Motion activated camera in the hallway, which will not only upload the footage to the could but will e-mail to tell me there has been some movement.

I know that this is very ambitious at the moment, but these are some things I would like to work on in the future.

The suggestion for FHEM looks great and I know that OPENHab is mentioned a lot too (though it looks pretty complicated). I note that something like PiDome is specifically for the Pi, so is the better choice?

Thanks.
Hello. I need almost the same things for my home and use Raspberry Pi (without rain sensor, but would like to add heating control, if possible).
I have checked the info posted here. One of them has a demo: http://www.intrahouse.eu/en/demo/ Looks nice, but not sure if it will help with all the functions I want. Now trying to figure out how it all works. Has anyone tried this software? Please share your feedback. And waiting for other options, as well.
Thanks.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”