As the name suggest, I'm hoping to start a RPI project that involves an automated camera setup on a bird feeder to photograph and video record birds as they come to feed.
The rough idea so far is:
- Implement a micro computer such as raspberry pi
- Attach PIR sensor on GPIO to detect activity (birds feeding)
- Attach camera board to record on motion from PIR
- Enclose sufficiently for outdoor use (dust, sun, rain)
- Power from 12V DC source since AC is not available outdoor
As a version 2, I hope to add:
- WiFi connectivity for the unit to send/submit recordings to a server inside the house.
- Some form of manual remote trigger to take photo
- Solar charge to sustain the unit
I am a COMPLETE beginner so I have one or two questions:
- Is this project simple enough for a beginner?
- Can I do this without building custom circuits? i.e. just use the board's GPIO
- What board would you recommend? I reckon a fully fledged RPI 2 or 3 is overkill. Would a Pi Zero or something like an Arduino be better suited?
Any input will be most welcome!!